Linkage analysis with an interbreed backcross maps Dalmatian hyperuricosuria to CFA03
- 245 Downloads
Dalmatians, like humans, excrete uric acid in their urine. All other dogs and most mammals excrete allantoin, a water-soluble compound that is further along the purine degradation pathway. Excretion of uric acid at high concentrations (hyperuricosuria) predisposes Dalmatians to the formation of urinary urate calculi. Hyperuricosuria (huu) is found in all Dalmatians tested and is inherited as an autosomal recessive trait. A genome scan and linkage analysis performed on a Dalmatian × Pointer interbreed backcross detected a single linked marker, REN153P03, located on CFA03. Haplotype analysis of the region around this marker defined a 3.3-Mb interval flanked by single recombination events. This interval, which contains the huu mutation, is estimated to include 24 genes.
KeywordsUric Acid UCSC Genome Browser Allantoin Recombination Breakpoint Urate Oxidase
The authors thank Aaron Wong for his help with calculating the genome scan LOD scores, and the canine research group at the UC Davis Veterinary Genetics Laboratory for providing the multiplexed genotyping panels.
- Benedict SR (1916) The Harvey Lectures. J Lab Clin Med ii(1): 346Google Scholar
- Keeler CE (1940) The inheritance of predisposition to renal calculi in the Dalmatian. J Am Vet Med Assoc 96: 507–510Google Scholar
- Lange K, Cantor R, Horvath S, Perola M, Sabatti C, et al. (2001) Mendel version 4.0: A complete package for the exact genetic analysis of discrete traits in pedigree and population data sets. Am J Hum Genet 69(Suppl), 69 [abstract 1886]Google Scholar
- Onslow H (1923) Uric acid and allantoin excretion among offspring of Dalmatian hybrids. Report to the Medical Research Council. From the Biochemical Laboratory, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Rozen S, Skaletsky H (2000) Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. Meth Mol Biol 132: 365–386Google Scholar
- Schaible RH, (1976) Linkage of a pigmentary trait with a high level of uric acid excretion in the Dalmatian dog. Genetics 83(Suppl 3): S68Google Scholar
- Wells GH (1918) The purine metabolism of the Dalmatian coach hound. From the Department of Pathology, University of Chicago, and the Otho S.A. Sprague Memorial Institute, ChicagoGoogle Scholar