Cloning, functional study and comparative mapping of Luzp2 to mouse Chromosome 7 and human Chromosome 11p13–11p14
- 186 Downloads
A novel leucine-zipper gene, leucine zipper protein 2 (Luzp2), has been cloned as part of an aberrant deletion-fusion transcript in the chromosomal interval between Gas2 and Herc2 on mouse Chromosome 7 (Chr 7). Luzp2 is normally expressed only in brain and spinal cord. The human homolog of Luzp2 maps to Chr 11p13–11p14 by radiation-hybrid mapping and is deleted in some patients with Wilms tumor–Aniridia–Genitourinary anomalies–mental Retardation (WAGR) syndrome. Disruption of Luzp2 by gene targeting in mice did not result in any obvious abnormal phenotypes.
KeywordsFusion Transcript Radiation Hybrid Radiation Hybrid Mapping Deletion Breakpoint Aniridia
We gratefully acknowledge Dr. Wendy Bickmore (MRC Human Genetics Unit, Edinburgh, Scotland) for providing somatic cell hybrid DNAs from WAGR patients, and Carmen Foster for the ES-cell work and microinjections. The research is sponsored by the Office of Biological and Environmental Research, U.S. Department of Energy, under Contract No. DE-AC05-00OR22725 with UT-Battelle, LLC.
- 8.Ji, Y, Walkowicz, MJ, Buiting, K, Johnson, DK, Tarvin, RE, et al. 1999The ancestral gene for transcribed, low-copy repeats in the Prader-Willi/Angelman region encodes a large protein implicated in protein trafficking, which is deficient in mice with neuromuscular and spermiogenic abnormalities.Hum Mol Genet8533542PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Leibrock, J, Lottspeich, F, Hohn, A, Hofer, M, Hengerer, B, et al. 1989Molecular cloning and expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor.Nature341149152Google Scholar
- 13.Rinchik, EM, Russell, LB 1990Germ-line deletion mutations in the mouse: tools for intensive functional and physical mapping of regions of the mammalian genome.Davies, KTilghman, S eds. Genome Analysis, Volume 1: Genetic and Physical MappingGoogle Scholar
- 14.Rinchik, EM, Carpenter, DA, Johnson, DK 2002Functional annotation of mammalian genomic DNA sequence by chemical mutagenesis: a fine-structure genetic mutation map of a 1- to 2-cM segment of mouse chromosome 7 corresponding to human chromosome 11p14-p15.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA99844849CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Russell, LJ, Weisskopf, B 1986Cognition in aniridia-Wilms tumor association: analysis of karyotype association.Am J Hum Genet39A78Google Scholar
- 17.Russell, WL 1951X-ray induced mutations in mice.Cold Spring Harbor Symp Quant Biol16327336Google Scholar