Kinetic Equation for a Soliton Gas and Its Hydrodynamic Reductions
- 169 Downloads
We introduce and study a new class of kinetic equations, which arise in the description of nonequilibrium macroscopic dynamics of soliton gases with elastic collisions between solitons. These equations represent nonlinear integro-differential systems and have a novel structure, which we investigate by studying in detail the class of N-component ‘cold-gas’ hydrodynamic reductions. We prove that these reductions represent integrable linearly degenerate hydrodynamic type systems for arbitrary N which is a strong evidence in favour of integrability of the full kinetic equation. We derive compact explicit representations for the Riemann invariants and characteristic velocities of the hydrodynamic reductions in terms of the ‘cold-gas’ component densities and construct a number of exact solutions having special properties (quasiperiodic, self-similar). Hydrodynamic symmetries are then derived and investigated. The obtained results shed light on the structure of a continuum limit for a large class of integrable systems of hydrodynamic type and are also relevant to the description of turbulent motion in conservative compressible flows.
KeywordsSoliton gas Thermodynamic limit Kinetic equation Hydrodynamic reduction Integrability
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)37K10 37K40 35L60
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Darboux, G.: Leçons sur les systèmes orthogonaux et les coordonnées curvilignes, Paris (1910) Google Scholar
- Gibbons, J., Kodama, Y.: Solving dispersionless Lax equations. In: Ercolani, N., et al. (eds.) Singular Limits of Dispersive Waves. NATO ASI Series B, vol. 320, p. 61. Plenum, New York (1994) Google Scholar
- Novikov, S.P., Manakov, S.V., Pitaevskii, L.P., Zakharov, V.E.: The Theory of Solitons: The Inverse Scattering Method. Consultants, New York (1984) Google Scholar
- Venakides, S.: The Zero Dispersion Limit of the Korteweg–de Vries Equation with Periodic Initial Data. AMS Transactions, vol. 301, pp. 189–226 (1987) Google Scholar
- Zakharov, V.E.: Kinetic equation for solitons. Sov. Phys. JETP 33, 538–541 (1971) Google Scholar
- Zakharov, V.E.: Dispersionless limit of integrable systems in 2+1 dimensions. In: Ercolani, N.M., et al. (eds.) Singular Limits of Dispersive Waves, pp. 165–174. Plenum, New York (1994) Google Scholar