Imaging-based evaluation of liver function: comparison of 99mTc-mebrofenin hepatobiliary scintigraphy and Gd-EOB-DTPA-enhanced MRI
- 632 Downloads
To compare Gd-EOB-enhanced MRI and 99mTc-mebrofenin hepatobiliary scintigraphy (HBS) as imaging-based liver function tests for separate evaluation of right (RLL) and left liver lobe (LLL) function.
Fourteen patients underwent Gd-EOB-enhanced MRI and 99mTc-mebrofenin HBS after portal vein embolization within 24 h. Relative enhancement (RE) and hepatic uptake index (HUI) were determined from MRI; and T max, T 1/2 and mebrofenin uptake were determined from HBS, all values separately for RLL and LLL.
Mebrofenin uptake correlated significantly with HUI and RE for both liver lobes. There was strong correlation of mebrofenin uptake with HUI for RLL (r 2 = 0.802, p = 0.001) and RE for LLL (r 2 = 0.704, p = 0.005) and moderate correlation with HUI for LLL (r 2 = 0.560, p = 0.037) and RE for RLL (r 2 = 0.620, p = 0.018). Correlating the percentage share of RLL function derived from MRI (with HUI) with the percentage of RLL function derived from mebrofenin uptake revealed a strong correlation (r 2 = 0.775, p = 0.002).
Both RE and HUI correlate with mebrofenin uptake in HBS. The results suggest that Gd-EOB-enhanced MRI and 99mTc-mebrofenin HBS may equally be used to separately determine right and left liver lobe function.
• Information about liver function can be acquired with routine Gd-EOB-MRI.
• Gd-EOB-MRI and 99m Tc-mebrofenin HBS show elevated function of non-embolized lobe.
• Gd-EOB-MRI and 99m Tc-mebrofenin HBS can determine lobar liver function.
KeywordsMRI Liver function Mebrofenin scintigraphy EOB Gadoxetic acid
future remnant liver
gadolinium ethoxybenzyl diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid
hepatic uptake index
left liver lobe
portal vein embolization
right liver lobe
region of interest
volume interpolated breath-hold examination
The scientific guarantor of this publication is Dominik Geisel. The authors of this manuscript declare relationships with the following companies: Bayer AG. The authors state that this work has not received any funding. One of the authors has significant statistical expertise. Institutional review board approval was obtained. Written informed consent was waived by the institutional review board. Methodology: retrospective, diagnostic or prognostic study, performed at one institution.
- 15.Ekman M, Fjälling M, Holmberg S, Person H (1992) IODIDA clearance rate: a method for measuring hepatocyte uptake function. Transplant Proc 1:387–388Google Scholar
- 18.Bennink RJ, Dinant S, Erdogan D et al (2004) Preoperative assessment of postoperative remnant liver function using hepatobiliary scintigraphy. J Nucl Med 6:965–971Google Scholar
- 25.Kim HJ, Kim BS, Kim MJ et al (2012) Enhancement of the liver and pancreas in the hepatic arterial dominant phase: comparison of hepatocyte-specific MRI contrast agents, gadoxetic acid and gadobenate dimeglumine, on 3 and 1.5 tesla MRI in the same patient. J Magn Reson Imaging. doi: 10.1002/jmri.23874 Google Scholar