Dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging can assess vascularity within fracture non-unions and predicts good outcome
- 786 Downloads
To prospectively evaluate whether dynamic contrast-enhanced (DCE) MRI can assess vascularity within non-unions and predicts clinical outcome in combination with the clinical Non-Union Scoring System (NUSS).
Fifty-eight patients with non-unions of extremities on CT underwent 3-T DCE MRI. Signal intensity curves obtained from a region-of-interest analysis were subdivided into those with more intense contrast agent uptake within the non-union than in adjacent muscle (vascularised non-union) and those with similar or less contrast uptake. The pharmacokinetic parameters of the Tofts model K trans, K ep, iAUC and V e were correlated with union at CT 1 year later (n = 49).
Despite inserted osteosynthetic material, DCE parameters could be evaluated in 57 fractures. The sensitivity/specificity of vascularised non-unions as an indicator of good outcome was 83.9 %/50.0 % compared to 96.8 %/33.3 % using NUSS (n = 49). Logistic regression revealed a significant impact of NUSS on outcome (P = 0.04, odds ratio = 0.93). At first examination, median iAUC (initial area under the enhancement curve) for the ratio non-union/muscle was 10.28 in patients with good outcome compared with 3.77 in non-responders (P = 0.023). K trans, K ep and Ve within the non-union were not significantly different initially (n = 57) or 1 year later (n = 19).
DCE MRI can assess vascularity in fracture non-unions. A vascularised non-union correlates with good outcome.
• Dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging can assess vascularity within bony non-unions.
• Vascularised ununited fractures appear better at 1-year CT than poorly vascularised fractures.
• Non-union healing after osteosynthesis or osteoinductive drugs fundamentally requires vascularity.
• DCE MRI predicts treatment outcome better than the clinical Non-Union Scoring System.
• DCE MRI is clinically feasible to predict treatment outcome in bony non-unions.
KeywordsDynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging Non-union Vascularity Fracture healing Non-Union Scoring System
- DCE MRI
Dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging
Field of view
Initial area under the enhancement curve
Constant reflux between extravascular extracellular space and blood plasma
Volume transfer constant between blood plasma and extravascular extracellular space
Non-Union Scoring System
Receiver operating characteristic
Region of interest
Short tau inversion recovery
Extravascular extracellular volume fraction
Volume interpolated breath-hold examination
- 4.Hendrex RW (1992) Fracture healing. In: Rogers LF (ed) Radiology of skeletal trauma, 2nd edn. Churchill Livingstone, New York, pp 203–221Google Scholar
- 20.Weber BG, Cech O (1976) Pseudoarthrosis: Pathology, biomechanics, therapy, results. Hans Huber, BernGoogle Scholar