Measuring hepatic functional reserve using low temporal resolution Gd-EOB-DTPA dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI: a preliminary study comparing galactosyl human serum albumin scintigraphy with indocyanine green retention
- First Online:
- 711 Downloads
To investigate if tracer kinetic modelling of low temporal resolution dynamic contrast-enhanced (DCE) MRI with Gd-EOB-DTPA could replace technetium-99 m galactosyl human serum albumin (GSA) single positron emission computed tomography (SPECT) and indocyanine green (ICG) retention for the measurement of liver functional reserve.
Twenty eight patients awaiting liver resection for various cancers were included in this retrospective study that was approved by the institutional review board. The Gd-EOB-DTPA MRI sequence acquired five images: unenhanced, double arterial phase, portal phase, and 4 min after injection. Intracellular contrast uptake rate (UR) and extracellular volume (Ve) were calculated from DCE-MRI, along with the ratio of GSA radioactivity of liver to heart-plus-liver and per cent of cumulative uptake from 15–16 min (LHL15 and LU15, respectively) from GSA-scintigraphy. ICG retention at 15 min, Child–Pugh cirrhosis score (CPS) and postoperative Inuyama fibrosis criteria were also recorded. Statistical analysis was with Spearman rank correlation analysis.
Comparing MRI parameters with the reference methods, significant correlations were obtained for UR and LHL15, LU15, ICG15 (all 0.4–0.6, P < 0.05); UR and CPS (-0.64, P < 0.001); Ve and Inuyama (0.44, P < 0.05).
Measures of liver function obtained by routine Gd-EOB-DTPA DCE-MRI with tracer kinetic modelling may provide a suitable method for the evaluation of liver functional reserve.
• Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) provides new methods of measuring hepatic functional reserve.
• DCE-MRI with Gd-EOB-DTPA offers the possibility of replacing scintigraphy.
• The analysis method can be used for preoperative liver function evaluation.
KeywordsTracer kinetic modelling Liver functional reserve Gd-EOB-DTPA Galactosyl human serum albumin scintigraphy Indocyanine green retention
- 23.Iimuro Y, Kashiwagi T, Yamanaka J et al (2010) Preoperative estimation of asialoglycoprotein receptor expression in the remnant liver from CT/99mTc-GSA SPECT fusion images correlates well with postoperative liver function parameters. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 17:673–681PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Ichikawa T, Saito K, Yoshioka N et al (2010) Detection and characterization of focal liver lesions: a Japanese phase III, multicenter comparison between gadoxetic acid disodium-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging and contrast-enhanced computed tomography predominantly in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and chronic liver disease. Invest Radiol 45:133–141PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar