Diagnostic accuracy of fine-needle aspiration versus core-needle biopsy for the diagnosis of thyroid malignancy in a clinical cohort
To retrospectively compare the accuracy of fine-needle aspiration (FNA) and core-needle biopsy (CNB) for the diagnosis of thyroid malignancy
We evaluated the results of FNA and CNB in 555 consecutive thyroid nodules with final diagnoses (malignancy 318, benign 237). All patients underwent FNA and CNB simultaneously for each nodule. We assessed the sensitivity, specificity and accuracy of FNA, CNB and FNA/CNB for the diagnosis of thyroid malignancy.
The sensitivity of FNA, CNB and FNA/CNB for thyroid malignancy was 68.6%, 86.8% and 90.6%, specificity 100%, 99.2% and 99.2%, and accuracy 82.0%, 92.1% and 94.2%, respectively. The sensitivity and accuracy of CNB or FNA/CNB for thyroid malignancy were significantly higher than those of FNA (P < 0.001). Compared with CNB alone, FNA/CNB was more accurate for thyroid malignancy only in small nodules less than 1 cm (P < 0.001).
Our clinical cohort data demonstrated that CNB was more accurate for the diagnosis of thyroid malignancy than FNA, and FNA/CNB was more accurate than CNB alone in small thyroid nodules. CNB will play a complementary role in optimal surgical decision-making and the management of thyroid nodules.
• CNB was more accurate for the diagnosis of malignancy than FNA.
• Combined FNA/CNB was more accurate than CNB alone in small thyroid nodules.
• CNB should play at least a complementary role in managing thyroid nodules.
KeywordsThyroid Ultrasound Aspiration cytology Biopsy Thyroid cancer
- 9.Yassa L, Cibas ES, Benson CB et al (2007) Long-term assessment of a multidisciplinary approach to thyroid nodule diagnostic evaluation. Cancer Cytopathol 111:508–516Google Scholar
- 11.Nayar R, Ivanovic M (2009) The indeterminate thyroid fine-needle aspiration: experience from an academic center using terminology similar to that proposed in the 2007 National Cancer Institute Thyroid Fine Needle Aspiration State of the Science Conference. Cancer Cytopathol 117:195–202CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Gharib H, Papini E, Paschke R et al (2010) AACE/AME/ETA Task Force on Thyroid Nodules. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, Associazione Medici Endocrinologi, and European Thyroid Association medical guidelines for clinical practice for the diagnosis and management of thyroid nodules. Endocr Pract 16:1–43PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Ki KH, Park YJ, Koong S et al (2010) Revised Korean Thyroid Association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer. J Korean Thyroid Assoc 3:65–96Google Scholar
- 27.Cibas ES, Ali SZ (2010) The Bethesda system for reporting thyroid cytopathology, 1st edn. Springer, New York, pp 1–89Google Scholar