Transient sediment load on blades of Arctic Saccharina latissima can mitigate UV radiation effect on photosynthesis
- 130 Downloads
We studied the short-term impact of sediment load on the photosynthetic performance of Saccharina latissima sporophytes exposed to ultraviolet radiation (UVR). The algae were collected from different sediment-influenced environments in Svalbard in August 2007. Initial optimum quantum yield (F v/F m) of sediment-covered sporophytes was significantly higher compared to sediment-free sporophytes. Experimental sediment coating on blade discs had a photoprotective function by screening out 92% of the weighted UV-B (UVery) treatment. No UVR-induced photoinhibition was observed in sediment-coated blade discs while sediment removal caused a reduction in F v/F m not only after 12-h UVR exposure but also after 6-h recovery in low white light compared to the initial value. Thus, sediment coating has a short-term functional significance in mitigating the negative effect of UVR on photosynthesis of an important kelp species and set a baseline for further studies.
KeywordsAblation-derived siltation Arctic fjord system Climate change Fv/Fm Optimum quantum yield
We thank the diving group of AWI for collecting experimental material. This study is supported by the AWI and performed at the International Arctic Environmental Research and Monitoring Facility at Ny Ålesund, Svalbard.
- Airoldi L (2003) The effects of sedimentation on rocky coast assemblages. Oceanogr Mar Biol 41:161–236Google Scholar
- Dethleff D, Bischof K, Wiencke C, Deloffre J, Brey L, Lafite R (2006) AWIPEV-INVEST 2005––Sedimentological investigations at the coastal interface in shallow Kolhamnlaguna, Kongsfjorden, Western Svalbard. Mitt Kieler Polarforschg 22:14–41Google Scholar
- Hagen JO, Lefauconnier B (1995) Reconstructed runoff from the high Arctic Basin Bayelva based on mass-balance measurements. Nord Hydrol 26:285–296Google Scholar
- Ito H, Kudoh S (1997) Characteristics of water in Kongsfjorden, Svalbard. Proc NIPR Symp Polar Meteorol Glaciol 11:211–232Google Scholar
- McKinlay AF, Diffey BL (1987) A reference action spectrum for ultraviolet induced erythema in human skin, vol 6. CIE Research Note, CIE-Journal, pp 17–22Google Scholar
- Svendsen H, Beszczynska-Møller A, Lefauconnier B, Tverberg V, Gerland S, Hagen JO, Ørbæk JB, Bischof K, Papucci C, Zajaczkowski M, Azzolini R, Bruland O, Wiencke C, Winther JG, Hodson A, Mumford P (2002) The physical environment of Kongsfjorden–Krossfjorden, an Arctic fjord system in Svalbard. Polar Res 21:133–166CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zajaczowski M, Szczucinski W, Bojanowski R (2004) Recent changes in sediment accumulation rates in Adventfjorden, Svalbard. Oceanologia 46:217–231Google Scholar