The occurrence of Eualus gaimardii gibba Krøyer 1841 (Crustacea, Decapoda) in the sympagic habitat: an example of bentho-sympagic coupling
- 86 Downloads
We report the first records of a decapod species (Eualus gaimardii gibba) in association with Arctic multiyear sea-ice. Seven specimens inhabiting brine channels in the ice were collected during two field campaigns (September 2003, March/April 2004) by diver operated suction samplers. Salinity tolerance experiments (14–50 PSU) suggest that the species is stenohaline. Gut examinations revealed remains of the sympagic amphipod Gammarus wilkitzkii. All collected individuals were found in ice above relatively shallow waters (60–100 m depth) suggesting bentho-sympagic coupling.
KeywordsSympagic fauna Sea ice Eualus gaimardii Bentho-sympagic coupling Svalbard
Lionel Camus was funded by the Norwegian Research Council under the program “Marine Resource, Environment and Management”, project no. 146478/120 and by the Norwegian marine research laboratory RF-Akvamiljø. We are grateful to the crew of the research vessel Jan Mayen for sampling organisms, and to Cedric d’Udekem d’Acoz for his constructive comments on earlier versions of the manuscript.
- Boudrias MA, Carey AG Jr (1988) Life history patterns of Pseudalibrotus litoralis (Crustacea: Amphipoda) on the inner continental shelf, SW Beaufort Sea. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 49:249–257Google Scholar
- Carey AG Jr (1985) Marine ice fauna: Arctic. In: Horner RA (ed) Sea ice biota. CRC Press, Florida, pp 173–203Google Scholar
- Greve L, (1963) The genera Spirontocaris, Lebbeus, Eualus and Thoralus in Norwegian waters (Crust. Dec.). Sarsia 11:29–42Google Scholar
- Gulliksen B, Svensen E (2004) Svalbard and life in polar oceans. Kom forlag, Kristiansund, p 160Google Scholar
- Legendre L., Ackley SF, Dieckmann GS, Gulliksen B, Horner R, Hoshiai T, Melnikov IA, Reeburgh WS, Spindler M, Sullivan CW 1992 Ecology of sea ice biota. 2. Global significance of sea ice production. Polar Biol 12:429–444Google Scholar
- Lønne OJ, Gulliksen B (1991) Sympagic macro-fauna from multiyear sea-ice near Svalbard. Polar Biol 11:457–470Google Scholar
- Melnikov IA (1997) The Arctic sea ice ecosystem. Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, Amsterdam, pp 204Google Scholar
- Melnikov IA, Kulikov AS (1980) The cryopelagic fauna of the central Arctic basin. Biologia Tsentral’nogo Arkticheskogo Basseina: 97–110 (Canadian Translation of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 4910)Google Scholar
- d’Udekem d’Acoz C, Wirtz P (2002) Observations on some interesting coastal Crustacea Decapoda from the Azores, with a key to the genus Eualus Thallwitz, 1892 in the Northeastern Atlantic and the Mediterranean. Arquipélago. Life Mar Sci 19A:67–84Google Scholar