Comprehensive analysis of NAC domain transcription factor gene family in Vitis vinifera
Genome-wide identification of grapevineNACdomain genes and investigation of their chromosome locations, gene structures, duplication, evolution, phylogeny and expression profiles.
Grapevine is a widely used fruit crop. NAC (NAM, ATAF1/2 and CUC2) domain genes are plant-specific transcription factors (TFs) that comprise a conserved NAM domain in the N-terminus. Members of this gene family have been reported to contribute to plant development. During this study, 74 NAC genes were identified from 12× assembled grapevine genomic sequences. The duplication patterns, genomic structures and phylogeny of these 74 grapevine NAC genes were investigated. To understand the roles of VvNAC during grapevine development, their expression profiles in different tissues including leaf, tendril, inflorescence, stem, root and veraison berry skin were tested using quantitative real-time PCR. Analysis revealed expression diversity of various VvNAC genes among different grapevine tissues. To identify candidate grapevine NAC genes with a role in response to stress, publicly available microarray data were obtained to calculate their expression change under abiotic and biotic treatments, with a number of VvNAC genes displaying up-regulation after stress induction. Therefore, this study has uncovered more knowledge relating to the gene structures, chromosome organizations, evolution, expression profiles and functions of VvNAC genes.
KeywordsGrapevine Vitis vinifera NAC domain Gene family
Financial support for this work was provided by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC Accession No.: 31171931 and 31130047).
- Jaillon O, Aury JM, Noel B, Policriti A, Clepet C, Casagrande A, Choisne N, Aubourg S, Vitulo N, Jubin C, Vezzi A, Legeai F, Hugueney P, Dasilva C, Horner D, Mica E, Jublot D, Poulain J, Bruyere C, Billault A, Segurens B, Gouyvenoux M, Ugarte E, Cattonaro F, Anthouard V, Vico V, Del Fabbro C, Alaux M, Di Gaspero G, Dumas V, Felice N, Paillard S, Juman I, Moroldo M, Scalabrin S, Canaguier A, Le Clainche I, Malacrida G, Durand E, Pesole G, Laucou V, Chatelet P, Merdinoglu D, Delledonne M, Pezzotti M, Lecharny A, Scarpelli C, Artiguenave F, Pe ME, Valle G, Morgante M, Caboche M, Adam-Blondon AF, Weissenbach J, Quetier F, Wincker P (2007) The grapevine genome sequence suggests ancestral hexaploidization in major angiosperm phyla. Nature 449(7161):463–467PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Matus JT, Poupin MJ, Canon P, Bordeu E, Alcalde JA, Arce-Johnson P (2010) Isolation of WDR and bHLH genes related to flavonoid synthesis in grapevine (Vitis vinifera L.). Plant Mol Biol 72(6):607–620Google Scholar
- Nakashima K, Tran LS, Van Nguyen D, Fujita M, Maruyama K, Todaka D, Ito Y, Hayashi N, Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K (2007) Functional analysis of a NAC-type transcription factor OsNAC6 involved in abiotic and biotic stress-responsive gene expression in rice. Plant J 51(4):617–630PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ooka H, Satoh K, Doi K, Nagata T, Otomo Y, Murakami K, Matsubara K, Osato N, Kawai J, Carninci P, Hayashizaki Y, Suzuki K, Kojima K, Takahara Y, Yamamoto K, Kikuchi S (2003) Comprehensive analysis of NAC family genes in Oryza sativa and Arabidopsis thaliana. DNA Res 10(6):239–247PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang Y, Tang H, Debarry JD, Tan X, Li J, Wang X, Lee TH, Jin H, Marler B, Guo H, Kissinger JC, Paterson AH (2012) MCScanX: a toolkit for detection and evolutionary analysis of gene synteny and collinearity. Nucleic Acids ResGoogle Scholar