Enthesitis and its relationship with disease activity, functional status, and quality of life in psoriatic arthritis: a multi-center study
- 113 Downloads
Psoriatic arthritis (PsA) is an inflammatory arthritis with distinct phenotypic subtypes. Enthesitis is assigned as a hallmark of the disease, given its significant relations to disease activity and quality of life. Our objective is to evaluate the prevalence of enthesitis and its association with some clinical parameters, particularly quality of life, using data from a national registry. Patients with PsA meeting ClASsification criteria for Psoriatic Arthritis (CASPAR) were enrolled by means of a multi-centre Turkish League Against Rheumatism (TLAR) Network Project. The following information was recorded in web-based case report forms: demographic, clinical and radiographic data; physical examination findings, including tender and swollen joint counts (TJC and SJC); nail and skin involvement; Disease Activity Score-28 for Rheumatoid Arthritis with Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (DAS 28-ESR); Bath Ankylosing Spondylitis Disease Activity Index (BASDAI); Maastricht Ankylosing Spondylitis Enthesitis Score (MASES); Psoriasis Area Severity Index (PASI); Bath Ankylosing Spondylitis Radiology Index for the spine (BASRI-s); Health Assessment Questionnaire (HAQ); Bath Ankylosing Spondylitis Functional Index (BASFI); Health Assessment Questionnaire for the spondyloarthropathies (HAQ-s); Psoriatic arthritis quality of Life scale (PsAQoL); Short Form 36 (SF-36); Hospital Anxiety Depression Scale (HADS); Functional Assessment of Chronic Illness Therapy-Fatigue (FACIT-F); and Fibromyalgia Rapid Screening Tool (FiRST) scores. The patients were divided into two groups, namely with and without enthesitis, based on the triple Likert-type physician-reported statement of ‘active enthesitis’, ‘history of enthesitis’ or ‘none’ in the case report forms. Patients with active enthesitis were compared to others in terms of these clinical parameters. A total of 1130 patients were enrolled in this observational study. Of these patients, 251 (22.2%) had active enthesitis according to the clinical assessment. TJC, HAQ-s, BASDAI, FiRST and PsAQoL were significantly higher whereas the SF-36 scores were lower in patients with enthesitis (p < 0.05). Chronic back pain, dactylitis, and tenosynovitis were more frequent in the enthesopathy group (59.4%/39%, 13.1%/6.5% and 24.7%/3.4%, respectively). Significant positive correlations between the MASES score and the TJC, HAQ, DAS 28-ESR, BASDAI, FiRST and PsAQoL scores, and a negative correlation with the SF-36 score were found. When linear regression analysis was performed, the SF-36 MCS and PCS scores decreased by − 9.740 and − 11.795 units, and the FiRST scores increased by 1.223 units in patients with enthesitis. Enthesitis is an important involvement of PsA with significant relations to quality of life determined with PsAQoL and SF-36 scores. Our study found higher frequency of dactylitis and chronic back pain, and worse quality of life determined with SF-36 and PsAQoL scores in patients with enthesitis.
KeywordsEnthesitis Psoriatic arthritis Enthesopathy Registry Disease activity Quality of life
We acknowledge dr Nazmiye Kurşun for statistical consulting and Scribendi Editing Services for external editing.
All authors have substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work, drafting or revising it critically for important intellectual content, have approved the final version to be published, and in agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved. All co-authors are fully responsible for all aspects of the study and the final manuscript in line with the IJME 4 criteria.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Authors declare no conflicts of interest or financial support.
Ethics committee approval was obtained from the Sakarya University Ethics Committee on 25.01.2018 and with the number of 42 and conducted in accordance with the Helsinki Declaration.
- 4.Coates LC, Kavanaugh A, Mease PJ, Soriano ER, Laura Acosta-Felquer M, Armstrong AW, Bautista-Molano W, Boehncke W-H, Campbell W, Cauli A, Espinoza LR, FitzGerald O, Gladman DD, Gottlieb A, Helliwell PS, Husni ME, Love TJ, Lubrano E, McHugh N, Nash P, Ogdie A, Orbai A-M, Parkinson A, O'Sullivan D, Rosen CF, Schwartzman S, Siegel EL, Toloza S, Tuong W, Ritchlin CT (2016) Group for research and assessment of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis 2015 treatment recommendations for psoriatic arthritis. Arthritis Rheumatol 68(5):1060–1071. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.39573 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Orbai AM, de Wit M, Mease PJ, Callis Duffin K, Elmamoun M, Tillett W, Campbell W, FitzGerald O, Gladman DD, Goel N, Gossec L, Hoejgaard P, Leung YY, Lindsay C, Strand V, van der Heijde DM, Shea B, Christensen R, Coates L, Eder L, McHugh N, Kalyoncu U, Steinkoenig I, Ogdie A (2017) Updating the psoriatic arthritis (PsA) core domain set: a report from the PsA workshop at OMERACT 2016. J Rheumatol 44(10):1522–1528. https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.160904 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 11.Kalyoncu U, Bayindir Ö, Ferhat Öksüz M, Doğru A, Kimyon G, Tarhan EF, Erden A, Yavuz Ş, Can M, Çetin GY, Kılıç L, Küçükşahin O, Omma A, Ozisler C, Solmaz D, Bozkirli EDE, Akyol L, Pehlevan SM, Gunal EK, Arslan F, Yılmazer B, Atakan N, Aydın SZ, Psoriatic Arthritis Registry of Turkey Study Group (2016) The Psoriatic Arthritis Registry of Turkey: results of a multicentre registry on 1081 patients. Rheumatology 56(2):279–286. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/kew375 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.McInnes IB, Puig L, Gottlieb AB, Ritchlin CT, Song M, You Y, Kafka S, Morgan GJ, Rahman P, Kavanaugh A (2019) Association between enthesitis and health-related quality of life in psoriatic arthritis in biologic-naive patients from 2 phase III ustekinumab trials. J Rheumatol. https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.180792 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Mease PJ, Karki C, Palmer JB, Etzel CJ, Kavanaugh A, Ritchlin CT, Malley W, Herrera V, Tran M, Greenberg JD (2017) Clinical characteristics, disease activity, and patient-reported outcomes in psoriatic arthritis patients with dactylitis or enthesitis: results from the Corrona Psoriatic Arthritis/Spondyloarthritis Registry. Arthritis Care Res 69(11):1692–1699. https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.23249 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.TRASD-NETWORK Scientific Studies Collaboration Platform. https://trasd-network.org/project_detail.php?id=2. Accessed 01 Oct 2019
- 16.Prevoo ML, van 't Hof MA, Kuper HH, van Leeuwen MA, van de Putte LB, van Riel PL (1995) Modified disease activity scores that include twenty-eight-joint counts. Development and validation in a prospective longitudinal study of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 38(1):44–48CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Lubrano E, Marchesoni A, Olivieri I, D'Angelo S, Spadaro A, Parsons WJ, Cauli A, Salvarani C, Mathieu A, Zaccara E, Ferrara N, Helliwell PS (2009) The radiological assessment of axial involvement in psoriatic arthritis: a validation study of the BASRI total and the modified SASSS scoring methods. Clin Exp Rheumatol 27(6):977–980PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Ware JE Jr., Sherbourne CD (1992) The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36). I. Conceptual framework and item selection. Med Care 30(6):473–483Google Scholar
- 30.Mease PJ (2011) Measures of psoriatic arthritis: Tender and Swollen Joint Assessment, Psoriasis Area and Severity Index (PASI), Nail Psoriasis Severity Index (NAPSI), Modified Nail Psoriasis Severity Index (mNAPSI), Mander/Newcastle Enthesitis Index (MEI), Leeds Enthesitis Index (LEI), Spondyloarthritis Research Consortium of Canada (SPARCC), Maastricht Ankylosing Spondylitis Enthesis Score (MASES), Leeds Dactylitis Index (LDI), Patient Global for Psoriatic Arthritis, Dermatology Life Quality Index (DLQI), Psoriatic Arthritis Quality of Life (PsAQOL), Functional Assessment of Chronic Illness Therapy-Fatigue (FACIT-F), Psoriatic Arthritis Response Criteria (PsARC), Psoriatic Arthritis Joint Activity Index (PsAJAI), Disease Activity in Psoriatic Arthritis (DAPSA), and Composite Psoriatic Disease Activity Index (CPDAI). Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 63(Suppl 11):S64–85. https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.20577 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Mease PJ, Palmer JB, Liu M, Kavanaugh A, Pandurengan R, Ritchlin CT, Karki C, Greenberg JD (2018) Influence of axial involvement on clinical characteristics of psoriatic arthritis: analysis from the corrona psoriatic arthritis/spondyloarthritis registry. J Rheumatol 45(10):1389–1396. https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.171094 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Helliwell PS, FitzGerald O, Fransen J, Gladman DD, Kreuger GG, Callis-Duffin K, McHugh N, Mease PJ, Strand V, Waxman R, Azevedo VF, Beltran Ostos A, Carneiro S, Cauli A, Espinoza LR, Flynn JA, Hassan N, Healy P, Kerzberg EM, Lee YJ, Lubrano E, Marchesoni A, Marzo-Ortega H, Porru G, Moreta EG, Nash P, Raffayova H, Ranza R, Raychaudhuri SP, Roussou E, Scarpa R, Song YW, Soriano ER, Tak PP, Ujfalussy I, de Vlam K, Walsh JA (2013) The development of candidate composite disease activity and responder indices for psoriatic arthritis (GRACE project). Ann Rheum Dis 72(6):986–991. https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2012-201341 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Wervers K, Luime JJ, Tchetverikov I, Gerards AH, Kok MR, Appels CWY, van der Graaff WL, van Groenendael JHLM, Korswagen L-A, Veris-van Dieren JJ, Hazes JMW, Vis M (2018) Influence of disease manifestations on health-related quality of life in early psoriatic arthritis. J Rheumatol 45(11):1526–1531. https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.171406 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Rubén Queiro AL, Montilla-Morales CA, Galindez-Agirregoikoa E, Bethencourt JJ, Seoane D (2017) Spondyloarthropathies and psoriatic arthritis—clinical aspects and treatment poster III: outcomes, outcome measures, and comorbidities. In: Paper presented at the 2017 ACR/ARHP annual meeting, September 18, 2017Google Scholar
- 37.Goldenberg DL Overview of chronic widespread (centralized) pain in the rheumatic diseases. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/overview-of-chronic-widespread-centralized-pain-in-the-rheumatic-diseases/print. Accessed 05 Mar 2019
- 39.Marchesoni A, Atzeni F, Spadaro A, Lubrano E, Provenzano G, Caulı A, Olivieri I, Melchıorre D, Salvaranı C, Scarpa R, Sarzı-Puttını P, Montepaone M, Porru G, D’angelo S, Catanoso M, Costa L, Manara M, Varısco V, Rotunno L, de Lucıa O, de Marco G (2012) Identification of the clinical features distinguishing psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia. J Rheumatol 39(4):849–855. https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.110893 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 41.Kristensen S, Christensen JH, Schmidt EB, Olesen JL, Johansen MB, Arvesen KB, Schlemmer A (2016) Assessment of enthesitis in patients with psoriatic arthritis using clinical examination and ultrasound. Muscles Ligaments Tendons J 6(2):241–247. https://doi.org/10.11138/mltj/2016.6.2.241 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 43.Wolfe F, Smythe HA, Yunus MB, Bennett RM, Bombardier C, Goldenberg DL, Tugwell P, Campbell SM, Abeles M, Clark P et al (1990) The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia. Report of the multicenter criteria committee. Arthritis Rheum 33(2):160–172. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.1780330203 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 44.Dougados M, Linden SVD, Juhlin R, Huitfeldt B, Amor B, Calin A, Cats A, Dijkmans B, Olivieri I, Pasero G, Veys E, Zeidler H (1991) The European spondylarthropathy study group preliminary criteria for the classification of spondylarthropathy. Arthritis Rheum 34(10):1218–1227. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.1780341003 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 45.Chandran V, Gottlieb A, Cook RJ, Duffin KC, Garg A, Helliwell P, Kavanaugh A, Krueger GG, Langley RG, Lynde C, McHugh N, Mease P, Olivieri I, Rahman P, Rosen CF, Salvarani C, Thaci D, Toloza SMA, Wong MYW, Zhou QM, Gladman DD (2009) International multicenter psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis reliability trial for the assessment of skin, joints, nails, and dactylitis. Arthritis Care Res 61(9):1235–1242. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.24562 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 46.Olivieri I, Barozzi L, Favaro L, Pierro A, de Matteis M, Borghi C, Padula A, Ferri S, Pavlica P (1996) Dactylitis in patients with seronegative spondylarthropathy. Assessment by ultrasonography and magnetic resonance imaging. Arthritis Rheum 39(9):1524–1528. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.1780390912 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 47.Tan AL, Fukuba E, Halliday NA, Tanner SF, Emery P, McGonagle D (2015) High-resolution MRI assessment of dactylitis in psoriatic arthritis shows flexor tendon pulley and sheath-related enthesitis. Ann Rheum Dis 74(1):185–189. https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2014-205839 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 49.Acosta-Felquer ML, Ruta S, Rosa J, Marin J, Ferreyra-Garrot L, Galimberti ML, Galimberti R, Garcia-Monaco R, Soriano ER (2017) Ultrasound entheseal abnormalities at the distal interphalangeal joints and clinical nail involvement in patients with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, supporting the nail-enthesitis theory. Semin Arthritis Rheum 47(3):338–342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semarthrit.2017.05.002 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 50.Carneiro S, Bortoluzzo A, Goncalves C, Silva JA, Ximenes AC, Bertolo M, Ribeiro SL, Keiserman M, Skare T, Menin R, Azevedo V, Vieira W, Albuquerque E, Bianchi W, Bonfiglioli R, Campanholo C, Carvalho HM, Costa I, Duarte A, Kohem C, Leite N, Lima SA, Meirelles ES, Pereira IA, Pinheiro MM, Polito E, Resende GG, Rocha FA, Santiago MB, Sauma Mde F, Valim V, Sampaio-Barros PD (2013) Effect of enthesitis on 1505 Brazilian patients with spondyloarthritis. J Rheumatol 40(10):1719–1725. https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.121145 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 51.Lukas C, Landewé R, Sieper J, Dougados M, Davis J, Braun J, van der Linden S, van der Heijde D (2009) Development of an ASAS-endorsed disease activity score (ASDAS) in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Ann Rheum Dis 68(1):18–24. https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.2008.094870 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 55.Coates LC, FitzGerald O, Mease PJ, Gladman DD, Strand V, Goel N, Campbell I, Krueger G, McHugh NJ, Helliwell PS (2014) Development of a disease activity and responder index for psoriatic arthritis–report of the Psoriatic Arthritis Module at OMERACT 11. J Rheumatol 41(4):782–791. https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.131250 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar