Successful arthroscopic treatment of refractory and complicated popliteal cyst associated with rheumatoid arthritis in combination with osteoarthritis: case series and literature review
- 29 Downloads
Although popliteal cysts are most frequently identified in patients with osteoarthritis (OA), they may occur in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), in which serious complicated cases such as cyst rupture can be developed. The objective of this study was to report four patients with RA (six knees) in combination with OA with a brief review of literature of previous similar published cases. This is a retrospective review of case records of patients with refractory and/or complicated popliteal cysts, who have successfully treated with arthroscopic intervention. We suggest that arthroscopic interventions such as radical debridement, synovectomy, biomechanical valve excision, and/or cystectomy should be considered in patients with refractory and complicated popliteal cysts associated with RA or RA in combination with OA.
KeywordsPopliteal cyst Rheumatoid arthritis
JHY performed the surgery. JHY and HSL devised the project and the main conceptual ideas. HHK, JKL, and SYB aided in the interpreting the results and worked on the manuscript. JHY and HHK wrote the paper with input from all authors. JHY and HSL critically revised the manuscript at all stages of its production, final approval of manuscript, and review of literature. All authors discussed the outline and commented on the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Authors; Jae-Hyuk Yang, Hyuk-Hee Kwon, Jin Kyu Lee, So Young Bang, and Hye-Soon Lee declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Gibofsky A (2014) Epidemiology, pathophysiology, and diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis: a synopsis. Am J Manag Care 20:S128–S135Google Scholar
- 3.Gibofsky A (2012) Overview of epidemiology, pathophysiology, and diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. Am J Manag Care 18:S295–S302Google Scholar
- 7.Andonopoulos AP, Yarmenitis S, Sfountouris H, Siamplis D, Zervas C, Bounas A (1995) Baker’s cyst in rheumatoid arthritis: an ultrasonographic study with a high resolution technique. Clin Exp Rheumatol 13:633–636Google Scholar
- 12.Hooper JC, Brookler M (1971) Popliteal cysts and their rupture in the rheumatoid arthritis simulating thrombophlebitis. Med J Aust 1:1371–1373Google Scholar
- 13.Colamussi V, Benini F (1970) Rupture of popliteal cysts and dissecting calf cysts in patients with rheumatic arthritis. Arcisp S Anna Ferrara 23:473–493Google Scholar
- 17.Kanekasu K, Nagashima K, Yamauchi D, Yamakado K (1997) A clinical study of arthroscopic cystectomy on popliteal cysts associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Ryumachi (Rheumatism) 37:761–769Google Scholar
- 18.Tanaka N, Yamamura M, Ishii S (1999) Anterior arthroscopic synovectomy plus capsuloplasty with a pedicle graft for the treatment of rheumatoid popliteal cysts. J Rheumatol 26:1481–1485Google Scholar
- 23.Adiyeke L, Bilgin E, Duymus TM, Ketenci IE, Ugurlar M (2017) Giant Baker’s cyst associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Case Rep Orthop 2017:4293104Google Scholar