Tuberculosis and Takayasu arteritis: case-based review
- 52 Downloads
This report presents a case of co-occurrence of Takayasu arteritis (TA) and multiorgan tuberculosis (TB) in a 20-year-old female and provides a review of 18 previously reported cases of co-occurring TA and TB. All patients were between 9 and 24 years of age. Most reports describe a concomitant diagnosis of active TB and TA. TB lymphadenitis was described in 11 cases (57.9%), and microbiologically confirmed in 4 of these. All patients received antituberculous therapy and most received corticosteroids (89.5%). In our and two other cases, TA relapses necessitating additional immunosuppressive therapy were observed.
KeywordsVasculitis Autoimmune disease Takayasu arteritis Tuberculosis Tuberculosis, Lymph node
MKJ: writing of manuscript including editing and revision and the literature review at all stages of its production, clinical management of patient. HFG-F: writing of manuscript including editing and revision and the literature review at all stages of its production, clinical management of patient. AK/CK: clinical management of patient, contributions to editing and revision. ECR: manuscript editing and revision at all stages of production, final approval of manuscript, clinical management of patient.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
A written informed consent was signed by the patient in case concerning publication of this case report. A copy of this consent is available for editors of this journal.
- 1.WHO (2018) Global Tuberculosis ReportGoogle Scholar
- 5.Saruhan-Direskeneli G, Hughes T, Aksu K, Keser G, Coit P, Aydin SZ, Alibaz-Oner F, Kamali S, Inanc M, Carette S, Hoffman GS, Akar S, Onen F, Akkoc N, Khalidi NA, Koening C, Karadag O, Kiraz S, Langford CA, McAlear CA, Ozbalkan Z, Ates A, Karaaslan Y, Maksimowicz-Mckinnon K, Monach PA, Ozer HT, Seyahi E, Fresko I, Cefle A, Seo P, Warrington KJ, Ozturk MA, Ytterberg SR, Cobankara V, Onat AM, Guthridge JM, James JA, Tunc E, Duzgun N, Bicakcigil M, Yentür SP, Merkel PA, Direskeneli H, Sawalha AH (2013) Identification of multiple genetic susceptibility loci in Takayasu arteritis. Am J Hum Genet 93:298–305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajhg.2013.05.026 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Soto ME, Del Carmen Ávila-Casado M, Huesca-Gómez C, Alarcon GV, Castrejon V, Soto V, Hernandez S, Espinola-Zavaleta N, Vallejo M, Reyes PA, Gamboa R (2012) Detection of IS6110 and HupB gene sequences of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and bovis in the aortic tissue of patients with Takayasu’s arteritis. BMC Infect Dis 12:194. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2334-12-194 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Ozen S, Pistorio A, Iusan SM, Bakkaloglu A, Herlin T, Brik R, Buoncompagni A, Lazar C, Bilge I, Uziel Y, Rigante D, Cantarini L, Hilario MO, Silva CA, Alegria M, Norambuena X, Belot A, Berkun Y, Estrella AI, Olivieri AN, Alpigiani MG, Rumba I, Sztajnbok F, Tambic-Bukovac L, Breda L, Al-Mayouf S, Mihaylova D, Chasnyk V, Sengler C, Klein-Gitelman M, Djeddi D, Nuno L, Pruunsild C, Brunner J, Kondi A, Pagava K, Pederzoli S, Martini A, Ruperto N, Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organisation (PRINTO) (2010) EULAR/PRINTO/PRES criteria for Henoch-Schönlein purpura, childhood polyarteritis nodosa, childhood Wegener granulomatosis and childhood Takayasu arteritis: Ankara 2008. Part II: final classification criteria. Ann Rheum Dis 69:798–806. https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.2009.116657 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Almohammadi AA, Consunji-Araneta R (2007) Two cases of Takayasu’s arteritis and tuberculosis. Chest 132:675A. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.132.4_MeetingAbstracts.675a CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Pantell RH, Goodman BW (1981) Takayasu’s arteritis: the relationship with tuberculosis. Pediatrics 67:84–88Google Scholar
- 16.Baijal R, Chogle A, Kumar P, Shah N, Kulkarni S, Doshi S, Gupta D, Amarapurkar D (2015) A case of tuberculous colitis with associated Takayasu’s arteritis. J Assoc Physicians India 63:62–65Google Scholar
- 25.Sivashanmugam S, Gopalan V, Radhakrishnan AR, Sukumar P, Baskar N, Radhakrishnan N, Prasad PV, Ramamurthy A (1981) Tuberculous aorto-arteritis. A case report. Indian Heart J 33:73–77Google Scholar
- 26.Ahasan HAMN, Alam B, Chowdhury MH, Mohammed FR, Nur Z (2009) Takayasu’s arteritis in association with tuberculosis in a young woman. Pak J Med Sci 25:1009–1011Google Scholar
- 28.Minozzi S, Bonovas S, Lytras T, Pecoraro V, González-Lorenzo M, Bastiampillai AJ, Gabrielli EM, Lonati AC, Moja L, Cinquini M, Marino V, Matucci A, Milano GM, Tocci G, Scarpa R, Goletti D, Cantini F (2016) Risk of infections using anti-TNF agents in rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, and ankylosing spondylitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Expert Opin Drug Saf 15:11–34. https://doi.org/10.1080/14740338.2016.1240783 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Lim AY, Lee GY, Jang SY, Gwag HB, Choi SH, Jeon E-S, Cha H-S, Sung K, Kim Y-W, Kim SM, Choe YH, Koh W-J, Kim D-K (2016) Comparison of clinical characteristics in patients with Takayasu arteritis with and without concomitant tuberculosis. Heart Vessels 31:1277–1284. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00380-015-0731-8 CrossRefGoogle Scholar