Digital health: a new dimension in rheumatology patient care
- 806 Downloads
The new digital health innovations have opened up several opportunities to help the clinicians, patients and other caregivers of rheumatology healthcare system in maximizing efficiencies resulting in better patient outcomes. In the global context, digital health technology has the potential to bridge the distance gap between all the key stakeholders involved in rheumatology health care. In this review, we update on the recent advances in the field of digital health and highlight unique features of these technologies which would help in routine care. Application of technology in any form to enable, facilitate or enhance the quality of care is the foundation of digitised care. The components could be smartphone apps, sensors, video, social media platforms or messenger platforms, wearables or a combination of these enabling healthcare delivery and overcoming the constraints of distance, location and time. Digital therapeutics have started evolving and an important step in this direction is the involvement of FDA in the approval process. Speciality specific apps, personalised patient education as per disease status, remote specialist consultations or virtual health coach to guide on lifestyle modifications are some of the developments which have been facilitated by increased digitization in all walks of life. Assisted care with the help of robots rendering care in the hospitals or an intelligent robot guiding a patient by voice and visual sense at home are already at the threshold of entering the mainstream of patient care. Wearable devices equipped with powerful sensors are coming handy in keeping a watch on patient symptoms all the time and providing useful insights on disease progression, clinical response or complications. In chronic care such as rheumatology the implications, possibilities and benefits seem unprecedented. Real time data analytics and artificial intelligence are helping the clinicians, healthcare systems and policy makers optimise the resources and improve patient outcomes. Digitization of healthcare has gained momentum in the recent years and it is envisaged that it could be a catalyst to change, bridge the quality of care and most important democratise the healthcare access across the globe. However, more data, efficacy and objective results are needed which would be fulfilled by ongoing observational studies, clinical trials, systematic review and meta-analysis to further establish the role of digital health in the realms of patient care.
KeywordsDigital health Digital therapeutics Telemedicine Synergistic app Mobile devices Smart phones Algorithms Artificial intelligence Wearables Virtual health Health technology
Concept of the review: both authors. Drafting the first manuscript: SK. Critical revision: VR. Approval of the final version: both authors.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Suchitra Kataria declares that he has no conflict of interest. Vinod Ravindran declares that he has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants performed by any of the authors.
- 1.Brain-stimulation trials get personal to lift depression (2018) Nature. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03864-4. Accessed 5 Apr 2018 (ISSN 1476–4687)
- 2.Akili achieves primary efficacy endpoint in pediatric ADHD pivotal trial (2017) https://www.akiliinteractive.com/news-collection/akili-achieves-primary-efficacy-endpoint-in-pediatric-adhd-pivotal-trial. Accessed 4 Dec 2017
- 3.Virtual Health: The Untapped Opportunity to Get the Most out of Healthcare (2015) Accenture LLC. https://www.accenture.com/sg-en/insight-virtual-health. Accessed 5 Apr 2018
- 4.Alexa Diabetes Challenge (2017) New York. Luminary Labs. http://www.alexadiabeteschallenge.com/winner-sugarpod-wellpepper/. Accessed 15 Nov 2017 (Updated 16 Oct 2017)
- 5.Crescendo Bioscience (2017) South San Francisco, CA. Crescendo Bioscience Inc. https://www.crescendobio.com/company/. Accessed 11 Dec 2017 (Updated 9 Dec 2017)
- 9.Vectra DA (2017) South San Francisco, CA. Crescendo Bioscience Inc. https://vectrada.com. Accessed 11 Dec 2017 (Updated 9 Dec 2017)
- 10.MyRA (2017) South San Francisco, CA. Crescendo Bioscience Inc. https://trackmyra.com. Accessed 11 Dec 2017 (Updated 9 Dec 2017)
- 11.Vectrada (2017) South San Francisco, CA. Crescendo Bioscience Inc. https://vectrada.com/get-results. Accessed 11 Dec 2017 (Updated 9 Dec 2017)
- 12.Wellness 4U (2017) Smyrna, Georgia. UCB Biosciences Inc. https://www.wellness4u.com. Accessed 1 Dec 2017 (Updated 12 Nov 2017)
- 13.Vidscrip (2017) Minneapolis, MN. Clear.md. https://welcome.vidscrip.com. Accessed 14 Nov 2017 (Updated 31 Mar 2016)
- 14.Emma (2017) Singapore. SPH. http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/knead-a-massage-ask-for-emma-the-robot-masseuse. Accessed 7 Nov 2017 (Updated 10 Oct 2017)
- 15.Pillo (2016) New York, NY. Pillo Inc. https://pillohealth.com. Accessed 8 Nov 2017 (Updated 26 May 2016)
- 16.Zebra (2017) Kibbutz Shefayim, Israel. Zebra Medical. https://www.zebra-med.com. Accessed 28 Nov 2017 (Updated 24 Nov 2017)
- 17.CarePredict (2017) Florida. CarePredict, Inc. https://www.carepredict.com/about-us/. Accessed 28 Nov 2017 (Updated 10 Nov 2017)
- 18.Setpoint Medical (2017) Santa Clarita, CA. SetPoint Medical, Inc. https://setpointmedical.com/about/. Accessed 28 Nov 2017 (Updated 11 Dec 2017)
- 20.MediLogos (2015) Beer Sheva, Israel. MediLogos. http://medinfo2.ise.bgu.ac.il/medilogos/index.html. Accessed 28 Nov 2017 (Updated 2 Sep 2015)
- 21.Healthbee (2017) Boulder, Colorado. Healthbee. https://healthbee.co. Accessed 28 Nov 2017 (Updated 2017)
- 22.Care At Hand (2017) Silver Spring, MD. Mindoula Health, Inc. http://careathand.com. Accessed 28 Nov 2017 (Updated 2017)
- 24.Pruitt SD, Richardson DE (2016) Can a virtual coach activate patients? A proof of concept study. Am J Account Care 4:1–5Google Scholar