Parenchymal neuro-Behçet disease with erectile dysfunction and micturition disturbances: case report and literature review
- 212 Downloads
Parenchymal neuro-Behçet disease (NBD) is a serious clinic condition with a sub-acute or chronic disease course that results in incapability through pyramidal tract involvement. Though well-known consequences can deter a patient’s life, both urinary symptoms and sexual dysfunction are underestimated complications of NBD and closely related in timing. Here, we report the case of a young male patient with parenchymal NBD who developed urinary incontinence and erectile dysfunction in addition to widespread pyramidal tract signs and symptoms. We discuss clinical features, prognosis and treatment of the case. A review of English literature was conducted for cases of concurrent urinary or sexual dysfunction complicating parenchymal-NBD.
KeywordsNeuro-Behçet disease Urinary dysfunction Bladder Erectile dysfunction
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki Declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 5.International Study Group for Behçet’s Disease (1990) Criteria for diagnosis of Behçet’s disease. Lancet 335(8697):1078–1080Google Scholar
- 10.Bitik B, Tufan A, Sahin K, Sucullu Karadag Y, Can Sandikci S, Mercan R, Ak F, Karaaslan Y, Ozturk MA, Goker B, Haznedaroglu S (2016) The association between the parenchymal neurological involvement and posterior uveitis in Behçet’s syndrome. Clin Exp Rheumatol 34(6 Suppl 102):82–85PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Hatemi G, Silman A, Bang D, Bodaghi B, Chamberlain AM, Gul A, Houman MH, Kötter I, Olivieri I, Salvarani C, Sfikakis PP, Siva A, Stanford MR, Stübiger N, Yurdakul S, Yazici H, Expert Committee EULAR (2008) EULAR recommendations for the management of Behçet disease. Ann Rheum Dis 67(12):1656–1662. doi: 10.1136/ard.2007.080432 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Zeydan B, Uygunoglu U, Saip S, Demirci ON, Seyahi E, Ugurlu S, Hamuryudan V, Siva A, Kantarci OH (2016) Infliximab is a plausible alternative for neurologic complications of Behçet disease. Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm 3(5):e258. doi: 10.1212/NXI.0000000000000258 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 22.Desbois AC, Addimanda O, Bertrand A, Deroux A, Pérard L, Depaz R, Hachulla E, Lambert M, Launay D, Subran B, Ackerman F, Mariette X, Cohen F, Marie I, Salvarini C, Cacoub P, Saadoun D (2016) Efficacy of Anti-TNFα in severe and refractory neuro-behcet disease: an observational study. Medicine (Baltimore) 95(23):e3550. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000003550 CrossRefGoogle Scholar