Convergence between the 1990 and 2010 ACR diagnostic criteria and validation of the Spanish version of the Fibromyalgia Survey Questionnaire (FSQ)
- 401 Downloads
(1) To assess the degree of convergence between the 1990 and 2010 American College of Rheumatology (ACR) diagnostic criteria; (2) To evaluate the validity and reliability of the 2010 ACR criteria; (3) To validate the Spanish version of the Fibromyalgia Survey Questionnaire (FSQ); and (4) To assess the utility of the FSQ to differentiate fibromyalgia (FM) subgroups by disease severity. In the first study, agreement between the 1990 and 2010 ACR criteria for FM diagnosis was analyzed in a sample of 80 FM patients and 59 healthy controls. Algometry (mean threshold and tender points count) and the 2010 ACR indices [Symptom Severity Scale (SSS), Widespread Index (WPI) and Polysymptomatic Distress Scale (PSD)] were correlated with the key symptoms of FM and with indices of disease interference and quality of life. In a second study, we evaluated the validity and internal consistency of the Spanish version of the FSQ, as well as its ability to discriminate between groups of FM patients with low and high symptom severity. There is good agreement between the 1990 and 2010 ACR criteria for FM diagnosis. The 2010 ACR indices (SSS, WPI and PSD) demonstrated very adequate construct validity and appeared to be useful in the assessment of disease severity and global impact of FM. The FSQ had good internal consistency and validity and showed 100 % concordance with 2010 ACR criteria applied by a clinician. In addition, the FSQ proved to be useful in differentiating FM severity subgroups.
KeywordsFibromyalgia American College of Rheumatology criteria Fibromyalgia Survey Questionnaire (FSQ) Symptom severity
The authors thank Leonor Varela-Lema and Mabel Sampedro-Parada for their assistance in the back translation of the FSQ. This work was supported by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation (ref PSI2009-14555).
- 7.Fitzcharles MA, Ste-Marie PA, Panopalis P, Ménard H, Shir Y, Wolfe F (2012) The 2010 American college of rheumatology fibromyalgia survey diagnostic criteria and symptom severity scale is a valid and reliable tool in a French speaking fibromyalgia cohort. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 13:179PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Spielberger CD, Gorssuch RL, Lushene PR, Vagg PR, Jacobs GA (1983) Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory. Consulting Psychologists Press Inc., Palo AltoGoogle Scholar
- 16.Macías JA, Royuela R (1996) La versión española del Índice de Calidad de Sueño de Pittsburgh. Inf Psiquiátr 146:465–472Google Scholar
- 17.Monterde S, Salvata I, Montulla S, Fernández-Ballart J (2004) Validación de la versión española del Fibromyalgiam Impact Questionnaire. Rev Esp Reumatol 31(9):507–513Google Scholar
- 18.Alonso J, Prieto L, Antó JM (1995) The Spanish version of the SF-36 Health Survey (the SF-36 health questionnaire): an instrument for measuring clinical results. Med Clin 104:20771–20776Google Scholar
- 19.Sanz J, Vázquez C (1998) Fiabilidad, validez y datos normativos del Inventario para la Depresión de Beck. Psicothema 2:303–318Google Scholar
- 20.Seisdedos N (1988) Adaptación Española del STAI, Cuestionario de ansiedad estado-rasgo [Spanish adaptation of the STAI, State-Trait Anxiety Inventory]. TEA Ediciones, MadridGoogle Scholar