Late onset undifferentiated spondyloarthritis presenting with polymyalgia rheumatica features: description of seven cases
- 212 Downloads
To underline the importance of considering a diagnosis of undifferentiated spondyloarthritis (uSpA) in patients presenting polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) features. All patients with late onset uSpA meeting criteria for PMR at the onset of their disease seen in the Rheumatology Division of Xeral-Calde Hospital of Lugo, Spain during a 5 year period, and in the Rheumatology Department of Lucania, Italy in a two and a half year period, were studied. Six patients with late onset uSpA showing PMR symptoms at the onset were seen during the study periods in the two centres. Another patient had previously been observed in Lugo in a study dealing with the spectrum of conditions mimicking PMR. Of the seven patients, five had manifestations of SpA at the beginning of the disease and two developed these in the following 6 months. All seven met the Amor and/or the ESSG criteria for classifying and diagnosing SpA. The possibility that late onset uSpA may have PMR-like features at the beginning of the disease should be taken into account. The diagnosis is not difficult if the entire clinical spectrum of SpA is considered.
KeywordsAnkylosing spondylitis HLA-B27 Polymyalgia rheumatica Spondyloarthritis Undifferentiated spondyloarthritis
A Research Grant from the Government of Basilicata (Lucania) Region supported Dr Olivieri’s and Padula work.
- 6.Gonzalez-Gay MA, Garcia-Porrua C, Salvarani C, Olivieri I, Hunder GG (2000) The spectrum of conditions mimicking PMR in Northwestern Spain. J Rheumatol 59:2179–2184Google Scholar
- 7.Olivieri I, Padula A, Ciancio G, Cantini F, Salvarani C, Gonzalez-Gay MA (2001) Late onset HLA-B27-positive undifferentiated spondyloarthropathy: a new series of 20 patients. Arthritis Rheum 44 (Suppl):S94Google Scholar
- 12.Moll JMH, Haslock I, Wright V (1986) Seronegative spondarthritides. In: Scott JT (ed) Copeman’s textbook of the rheumatic disease, 6th edn, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp 723–724Google Scholar
- 14.Khan MA, van der Linden SM (1990) Undifferentiated spondyloarthropathies. In: Khan MA (ed) Ankylosing spondylitis and related spondyloarthropathies, Hanley & Belfus, Philadelphia, pp 657–664Google Scholar
- 28.Salvarani C, Cantini F, Olivieri I, Barozzi L, Macchioni L, Niccoli L et al (1997) Proximal bursitis in active polymyalgia rheumatica. Ann Inter Med 127:27–31Google Scholar