Respiratory deficiency in yeast mevalonate kinase deficient may explain MKD-associate metabolic disorder in humans
Mevalonate kinase deficiency (MKD) an orphan drug rare disease affecting humans with different clinical presentations, is still lacking information about its pathogenesis; no animal or cell model mimicking the genetic defect, mutations at MVK gene, and its consequences on the mevalonate pathway is available. Trying to clarify the effects of MVK gene impairment on the mevalonate pathway we used a yeast model, the erg12-d mutant strain Saccharomyces cerevisiae (orthologous of MKV) retaining only 10% of mevalonate kinase (MK) activity, to describe the effects of reduced MK activity on the mevalonate pathway. Since shortage of isoprenoids has been described in MKD, we checked this observation using a physiologic approach: while normally growing on glucose, erg12-d showed growth deficiency in glycerol, a respirable carbon source, that was not rescued by supplementation with non-sterol isoprenoids, such as farnesol, geraniol nor geranylgeraniol, produced by the mevalonate pathway. Erg12-d whole genome expression analysis revealed specific downregulation of RSF2 gene encoding general transcription factor for respiratory genes, explaining the absence of growth on glycerol. Moreover, we observed the upregulation of genes involved in sulphur amino acids biosynthesis that coincided with the increasing in the amount of proteins containing sulfhydryl groups; upregulation of ubiquinone biosynthesis genes was also detected. Our findings demonstrated that the shortage of isoprenoids is not the main mechanism involved in the respiratory deficit and mitochondrial malfunctioning of MK-defective cells, while the scarcity of ubiquinone plays an important role, as already observed in MKD patients.
KeywordsIsoprenoids Gene expression Microarray Respiratory metabolism Yeast
This work has been partially supported by the RC42/11 from IRCCS Burlo Garofolo (Trieste, Italy) and by the research fund of the Federal University of Pernambuco.
- Bard M, Albrecht MR, Gupta N, Guynn CJ, Stlllwell W (1988) Geraniol interferes with membrane functions in strains of Candida and Saccharomyces. Lipids 23:534–538Google Scholar
- Devenish RJ, Prescott M, Roucou X, Nagley P (2000) Insights into ATP synthase assembly and function through the molecular genetic manipulation of subunits of the yeast mitochondrial enzyme complex. Biochim Biophys Acta 1458(2–3):428–442. https://doi.org/10.1091/mbc.E05-07-0678 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fišar Z, Hroudová J, Singh N, Kopřivová A, Macečková D (2016) Effect of simvastatin, coenzyme Q10, resveratrol, acetylcysteine and acetylcarnitine on mitochondrial respiration. Folia Biol 62:53–66Google Scholar
- Frenkel J, Rijkers GT, Mandey SH, Buurman SW, Houten SM, Wanders RJ, Waterham HR, Kuis W (2002) Lack of isoprenoid products raises ex vivo interleukin-1beta secretion in hyperimmunoglobulinemia D and periodic fever syndrome. Arthritis Rheum 46:2794–2803. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.10550 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hubner C, Hoffmann GF, Charpentier C, Gibson Km B, Finckh B, Herbert Puhl H, Kohlschtt A (1993) Hans-Anton Lehr Ha. Decreased plasma ubiquinone-10 concentration in patients with mevalonate kinase deficiency. Pediatric Res 34(2):129–133. https://doi.org/10.1203/00006450-199308000-00004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lucena RM, Elsztein C, De Barros Pita W, De Souza RB, Paiva SSP Jr, De Morais Jr MA (2015) Transcriptomic response of Saccharomyces cerevisiae for its adaptation to sulphuric acid-induced stress. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 108:1147–1160. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10482-015-0568-2 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Marcuzzi A, Zanin V, Piscianz E, Tricarico PM, Vuch J, Girardelli M, Monasta L, Bianco AM, Crovella S (2012) Lovastatin-induced apoptosis is modulated by geranylgeraniol in a neuroblastoma cell line. Int J Devl Neuroscience 30:451–456. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdevneu.2012.06.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Simonicova L, Dudekova H, Ferenc J, Prochazkova K, Nebohacova M, Dusinsky R, Nosek J, Tomaska L (2015) Saccharomyces cerevisiae as a model for the study of extranuclear functions of mammalian telomerase. Curr Genet 61:517–527. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00294-014-0472-8 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Sprague GF, Cronan JE (1977) Isolation and characterization of Saccharomyces cerevisiae mutants defective in glycerol catabolism. 129:1335–1342Google Scholar
- Stenson PD, Mort M, Ball EV, Shaw K, Phillips A, Cooper DN (2014) The Human Gene Mutation Database: building a comprehensive mutation repository for clinical and molecular genetics, diagnostic testing and personalized genomic medicine. Hum Genet 133:1–9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00439-013-1358-4 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tricarico PM, Kleiner G, Valencic E, Campisciano G, Girardelli M, Crovella S, Knowles A, Marcuzzi A (2014) Block of the mevalonate pathway triggers oxidative and inflammatory molecular mechanisms modulated by exogenous isoprenoid compounds. Int J Mol Sci 15:6843–6856. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms15046843 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zore GB, Thakre AD, Rathod V, Karuppayil SM (2011) Evaluation of anti-Candida potential of geranium oil constituents against clinical isolates of Candida albicans differentially sensitive to fluconazole: inhibition of growth, dimorphism and sensitization. Mycoses 54:99–109. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0507.2009.01852.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar