The synergetic effect of antimony (Sb2O3) and melamine cyanurate (MCA) on the flame-retardant behavior of silicon rubber
- 4 Downloads
The silicone rubber composites with antimony trioxide (Sb2O3) and melamine cyanurate (MCA) additive were fabricated. The results of scanning electron microscope are shown that the Sb2O3 and MCA are uniformly dispersed into the silicone rubber (SR). It was found that tensile strength and elongation at break were down to 300% and 5.3 MPa with the increase in MCA content. The flammability of the composite was also studied by limiting oxygen index (LOI) and cone calorimetry test. The results indicated that a 31.5% LOI of the composite was achieved, and the heat release rate and total heat release values of the composite with MCA were apparently reduced compared to that without MCA. Meantime, the retention of elongation and tensile strength keeps good behavior. The time to ignition of the composite with MCA is belonged. The results show that the microstructure of combustion residue of MCA additive is continuous and smooth, and it is a good barrier to isolate combustible gas and oxygen. All these test results demonstrated that the synergistic effect of Sb2O3 and MCA successfully enhanced the flame-retardant properties of the SR composite.
KeywordsSilicone rubber MCA additive Sb2O3 Flammability Synergistic effect
This work was supported by Controllable preparation of graphene hydrogel loaded nano-zero-valent iron and removal of chlorophenol pollutants from groundwater [NSFC (2019) No. 27].
- 8.Ota K, Hirai K (2000) Flame-retardant silicon rubber composition for coating electrical wire and cable. US patent 6,011,105[P]. 2000-1-4Google Scholar
- 10.Nie Q, Zhou YX, Chen ZZ et al (2009) Influence of frequency on tree initiation voltage and electrical tree shape in silicone rubber. High Volt Eng 1:141–145Google Scholar
- 18.Ionescu M, Mihalache I, Zugravu V et al (1994) Inherently flame retardant rigid polyurethane foams based on new triazinic polyether polyols. Cell Polym 13:57–68Google Scholar
- 19.Weil E, McSwigan B (1994) Melamine phosphates and pyrophosphates in flame-retardant coatings: old products with new potential. J Coat Technol 66:75–82Google Scholar
- 23.Hou W, Fu Y, Zeng C et al (2018) Enhancement of flame retardancy and mechanical properties of polyamide 6 by incorporating melamine cyanurate combined with attapulgite. J Appl Polym Sci 137(2):47298(1–10)Google Scholar
- 31.Yang W, Yang F, Yang R et al (2016) Ammonium polyphosphate/melamine cyanurate synergetic flame retardant system for use in papermaking. BioResources 11:2308–2318Google Scholar
- 45.Tang S, Qian L, Qiu Y et al (2014) The effect of morphology on the flame-retardant behaviors of melamine cyanurate in PA6 composites. J Appl Polym Sci 131:40558Google Scholar