Composites of polyethylene and layered cobalt hydroxide salts as potential ultraviolet radiation absorbers
- 9 Downloads
This paper describes the synthesis of cobalt hydroxide nitrate (CoHN) and cobalt hydroxide p-aminobenzoate (CoHAB), which were dispersed in polyethylene with the objective of protecting the polymer from ultraviolet (UV) radiation degradation. First, CoHN was synthesized by urea hydrolysis in the presence of Co(II) nitrate and the intercalation of p-aminobenzoate into CoHAB was performed under hydrothermal alkaline conditions. The structure and thermal stability of the CoHN and CoHAB were characterized by several instrumental techniques. Results indicated that both fillers were dispersed in polyethylene and absorb radiation in the whole UV range, modifying the behavior of the polymer degradation under artificial weathering conditions.
KeywordsIntercalation Layered hydroxide salts Composites p-Aminobenzoate Polyethylene Ultraviolet radiation Weathering
We thank CAPES (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior), CNPq (Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Cientifico e Tecnologico-Proc. 303846/2014-3 and 400117/2016-9) and FINEP (Financiadora de Estudos e Projetos) for financial support. N.A.G.G. and S.A.M. thank CAPES and CNPq for the PhD and postdoctoral scholarships, respectively.
- 3.Hartmann LC, Linero LE, Cunha G, Piazza F, Munaro M (2008) Development of a new methodology for evaluating equipments used in spacer cable systems under multi stress conditions. Espaço e energia 9:1–8Google Scholar
- 9.Lv Qun-Chen, Ying L, Zhi-kui Z, Hui-Jun W, Fu-An H, Kwok-Ho L (2018) Preparation and dielectric properties of novel composites based on oxidized styrene-butadiene styrene copolymer and polyaniline modified exfoliated graphite nanoplates. Appl Surf Sci 441:945–954. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2018.02.034 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Bo L, Li-Hong P, Dong-Liang S, Hua-Kun H, Fu-An H, Kwok-Ho L, Hui-Jun W (2019) Preparation and characterization of composites based on poly(vinylidene fluoride-co-chlorotrifluoroethylene) and carbon nanofillers: a comparative study of exfoliated graphite nanoplates and multi-walled carbon nanotubes. J Mater Sci 54(3):2256–2270CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Fu-An H, Kai L, Dong-Liang S, Hui-Jun W, Hua-Kun H, Jun-Jun C, Fang C, Kwok-Ho L (2016) Preparation of organosilicate/PVDF composites with enhanced piezoelectricity and pyroelectricity by stretching. Compos Sci Technol 137:138–147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2016.10.031 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Basu D, Das A, Stöckelhuber KW, Wagenknecht U, Heinrich G (2014) Advances in layered double hydroxide (LDH)-based elastomer composites. Prog Polym Sci 39(3):594–626. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2013.07.011 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Perioli L, Ambrogi V, Bertini B, Ricci M, Nocchetti M, Latterini L, Rossi C (2006) Anionic clays for sunscreen agent safe use: photoprotection, photostability and prevention of their skin penetration. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 62(2):185–193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpb.2005.08.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Nakamoto K (2009) Infrared and Raman spectra of inorganic and coordination Compounds Part A. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 29.Krivovichev SV, Yakovenchuk VN, Zhitova ES, Zolotarev AA, Pakhomovsky YA, Ivanyuk GY (2010) Crystal chemistry of natural layered double hydroxides. I. Quintinite-2H-3c from the Kovdor alkaline massif, Kola peninsula, Russia. Miner Mag 74(5):821–832. https://doi.org/10.1180/minmag.2010.074.5.821 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Zhitova ES, Yakovenchuk VN, Krivovichev SV, Zolotarev AA, Pakhomovsky YA, Ivanyuk GY (2010) Crystal chemistry of natural layered double hydroxides. 3. The crystal structure of Mg, Al- disordered quintinite-2H. Miner Mag 74(5):841–848. https://doi.org/10.1180/minmag.2010.074.5.841 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Sheikh N, Akhavan A, Naimian F, Khoylou F, Hassanpour S, Sohrabpour M (2006) Formulation of a photosensitized polyethylene film; its structure and property variation under the weathering conditions of Tehran. J Polym Environ 14(1):103–109. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10924-005-8712-0 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.Andersson T, Stalbom B, Wesslen B (2004) Degradation of polyethylene during extrusion. II. Degradation of low-density polyethylene, linear low density polyethylene, and high-density polyethylene in film extrusion. J Appl Polym Sci 91:1525–1537. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.13024 CrossRefGoogle Scholar