Clean and dry route of synthesis of C60/polyvinylpyrrolidone composite using supercritical carbon dioxide
- 15 Downloads
In the present investigation, we have studied polymerization of (a) vinylpyrrolidone (VP) and (b) VP with C60 molecule applying various supercritical conditions with 2,2-azobisisobutyronitrile (AIBN) as a catalyst. Products hence obtained are polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) and fullerene-polyvinylpyrrolidone (C60/PVP) polymers. With polymerization reaction, the yield of corresponding C60–PVP polymers was significantly affected under applied concentrations of AIBN (304.5–1218.0 × 10−3 mol/dL) supercritical pressure (1200–1800 psi), temperature (C60 90 ± 1°) and time (3–6 h). The concentration of VP ranged 7.04–12.59 × 10−3 mol/dL. The samples of the synthesized C60/PVP polymer with lowest (24.8%) and highest (45.0%) yields were characterized using UV–Vis, FT-IR, 1H NMR, laser-induced breakdown spectra, scanning electron microscopy and simultaneous TG–DTA–DSC. The morphology of the C60/PVP polymers was confirmed by scanning electron micrographs which indicates the existence of separated C60 phases with heterogeneous morphology in corresponding C60/PVP polymers in all the cases. Simultaneous TG–DTA–DSC revealed enhanced thermal stability of C60/PVP.
KeywordsSupercritical carbon dioxide Fullerene TEM Thermal analysis TG–DTA–DSC LIBS PVP/C60–PVP polymers
The author wishes to thank Prof.M..G.H. Zaidi for his support.
- 3.Geckeler KE, Samal S (2004) Syntheses and properties of macromolecular fullerenes—a review. Russ J Appl Chem 78(1):130–136Google Scholar
- 5.Dominik E, Robert S (2014) Nanocarbon-inorganic hybrids: next generation composites for sustainable energy applications. Walter de Gruyter GmbH & Co KG Publication, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 11.Skoog D, Holler FJ, Crouch SR (2017) Principles of instrumental analysis. Cengage learning. Publishers and Distributers, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 12.Hemalatha P, Veeraiah MK, Kumar SP, Madegowda NM, Manju M (2014) Reactivity ratios of N-vinylpyrrolidone-acrylic acid copolymer. Am J Polym Sci 4(1):16–23Google Scholar
- 13.Laserna J, Vadillo JM, Purohit P (2018) Laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS): fast, effective, and agile leading edge analytical technology. Appl Spectrosc 72(S1):35–50Google Scholar
- 14.Gombos Z, Nagy V, Vas LM, Gaál J (2005) Investigation of pore size and resin absorbency in chopped strands. Period Polytech Ser Mech Eng 49(2):131–148Google Scholar
- 16.Zaidi MGH, Sharma D, Bhullar N, Agarwal V, Alam S, Rai AK, Pant RP (2010) Synthesis of polyvinyl pyridine ferrite nanocomposites in supercritical CO2. J Nanostruct Polym Nanocompd 6(4):103–109Google Scholar
- 17.Bhullar N, Zaidi MGH (2007) Synthesis of polyvinyl pyridine-C60 conjugate in supercritical carbon dioxide. Int J Nanosci Nanotechnol 3(1):63–68Google Scholar
- 18.Zhang WC, Zhou P, Du FS, Li ZC, Li FM (2001) The morphology investigation of hammer-like C60 conjugated polystyrene in solution. Acta Polym Sin 4:557–560Google Scholar