ROMP-based biorenewable polymers of norbornene modified with triglycerides or esters from natural buriti oil
Two novel monomers, norbornenyl buriti olein (NBO) and norbornenyl buriti ester (NB-FAME), were synthesized by reactions of 5-norbornene-2-carboxylic acid with triglycerides and with methyl esters from buriti oil, respectively. No polymers were produced via ROMP of NBO or NB-FAME using Grubbs second-generation catalyst at 30 °C for 1 h. However, copolymers of NBO or NB-FAME in the presence of norbornene (NBE) were obtained raising the initial compositions of the buriti oil-derived monomers from 20 to 80%, under the same conditions. The polymers were insoluble in water and typical organic solvents. In chloroform at 30 °C for 48 h, the polymers from synthesis with 80 wt% of buriti oil-derived monomers resulted in a mass gain of 1709% for polymer from NBO and 929 wt% for polymer from NB-FAME. SEM micrographs showed smooth morphologies and non-porous surfaces, which differ from the porous polyNBE. TGA analyses indicated thermal stability up to 200 °C. The poly(NBO-co-NBE) and poly(NB-FAME-co-NBE) have been proved to be the final products.
KeywordsVegetable oil polymers Buriti oil Norbornene ROMP
B. S. Lima-Neto is indebted to FAPESP, Proc. 2017/06329-5, for financial support.
- 1.Verhé RG (2004) Industrial products from lipids and proteins in renewable bioresources: scope and modification for non-food applications. Wiley, ChichesterGoogle Scholar
- 2.Malacea R, Dixneuf PH (2010) Alkene metathesis and renewable materials: selective transformations of plant oils. Springer, DordrechtGoogle Scholar
- 10.Fonseca LR, Sá JLS, Lima-Neto BS (2016) Plant oil-based polyester in bio-based plant oil polymers and composites. Elsevier, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 12.Belgacem MN, Gandini A (2008) Materials from vegetable oils: major sources, properties and applications, monomers, polymers and composites from renewable resources. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 19.Billmeyer FW Jr (1984) Textbook of polymer science. Wiley-Interscience, New York-LondonGoogle Scholar
- 20.Lucas EF, Soares BG, Monteiro EEC (2001) Caracterização de polímeros: determinação de peso molecular e análise térmica. E-Papers Editoriais, Rio de JaneiroGoogle Scholar
- 21.Aquino JS, Pessoa DCNP, Araújo KLGV, Epaminondas PS, Schuler ARP, Souza AG, Stamford TLM (2012) Refining of buriti oil (Mauritia flexuosa) originated from the brazilian cerrado: physicochemical, thermal-oxidative and nutritional implications. J Braz Chem Soc 23:212–219Google Scholar
- 28.Flory PJ (1953) Principles of polymer chemistry. Cornell University Press, IthacaGoogle Scholar
- 29.Canevarolo-Jr SV (2002) Ciência dos polímeros: um texto básico para tecnólogos e engenheiros. ArtLiber, São PauloGoogle Scholar