Synthesis, characterization and ring opening activity of barium mercaptoacetate towards ε-caprolactone
- 19 Downloads
A novel alkaline earth metal salt such as barium mercaptoacetate (Ba-MA) was successfully synthesized and characterized by various analytical techniques such as FTIR spectroscopy, UV–visible spectroscopy, XRD, particle size analysis and SEM. Further, its application towards the ring opening polymerization of ε-caprolactone (CL) as a novel initiator was tested at two different experimental conditions such as monomer to initiator ratio [M/I] variation and temperature variation under nitrogen atmosphere with mild stirring condition. The poly(caprolactone) (PCL) formation in the presence of Ba-MA was confirmed by measuring the melting temperature (Tm), degradation temperature (Td), XRD and GPC of PCL. The Tm of PCL varied between 68.4 and 71.6 °C while increasing the [M/I]. The chemical structure and functional groups of PCL were confirmed by NMR spectroscopy and FTIR spectroscopy, respectively. The band gap (Eg) value increased with the increase in [M/I] ratio due to the decrease in Ba content.
KeywordsBa-mercaptoacetate Ring opening polymerization Degradation temperature Band gap energy
Dr. N. Sundararajan, Associate Professor, Department of English, KCET, Virudhunagar is gratefully acknowledged for his valuable help during the preparation of this manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
There is no conflict of interest among the authors.
- 2.Ramaswamy V, Vimalathithan M, Ponnusamy V (2010) Synthesis of well dispersed, elliptical shaped BaSO4 nanoparticles via water-chloroform mixed solvent. Arch Phys Res 1:217–226Google Scholar
- 3.Raju S, Muralidharan R, Sonila H (2014) Synthesis, spectral and antibacterial studies of semi-organic single crystal: barium thiourea chloride. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 5:1440–1445Google Scholar
- 4.Zelati A, Amirabadizadch A, Kompany A (2011) Preparation and characterization of barium carbonate nanoparticles. Int J Chem Eng Appl 2:299–303Google Scholar
- 11.Zelati A, Amirabadizadeh A, Kompany A (2011) Preparation and characterization of barium carbonate nanoparticles. Int J Chem Eng Appl 2:299–303Google Scholar
- 25.Murugesan A, Palanikumar S, Anbarasan R (2016) Synthesis, characterization and humidity sensor application of poly(methylorange) based triblock copolymer. J Chem Pharm Res 8:71–81Google Scholar