Synthesis and characterization of poly(ester amide amide)s of different alkylene chain lengths
- 122 Downloads
In this work, a series of aliphatic biodegradable poly(ester amide amide) polymers was synthesized by melt polycondensation of a tailor-made amide-containing monomer based on 1,4-diaminobutane and ε-caprolactone and different dicarboxylic acid methyl esters with even number of methylene groups. The synthesized polymers were characterized by 1H NMR, FT-IR spectroscopy, GPC, SAXS and WAXS. DSC results show that the melting point is located at about 150 °C for all polymers. X-ray scattering experiments in small and wide angles reveal formation of crystals with extended-chain conformation resulting in strict periodicity of electron density along the main chain. TGA data indicate the high thermal stability of polymers to temperatures above 350 °C, which are much above the melting point. The obtained characteristics of the newly synthesized PEAAs can open new perspectives for melt processing to fabricate films, highly oriented fibers and injection-molded parts with good thermal stability and mechanical performance.
KeywordsPoly(ester amide amide)s Biodegradable polymers Melt polycondensation Small-angle X-ray scattering Wide-angle X-ray scattering
The authors acknowledge the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation for financial support (contract No. 14.578.21.0190 (RFMEFI57816X0190)).
- 1.Kaplan DL, Thomas E, Ching C (1993) Biodegradable materials and packaging. Technomic Press, LancasterGoogle Scholar
- 2.Moore GF, Saunders SM (1997) Advances in biodegradable polymers. Rapra review reports: 9/2. Rapra Technology Limited, ShropshireGoogle Scholar
- 12.Kawasaki N, Nakayama A, Maeda Y, Hayashi K, Yamamoto N, Aiba S (1998) Synthesis of a new biodegradable copolyesteramide: poly(l-lactic acid-co-ε-caprolactam). Macromol Chem Phys 199:2445–2451Google Scholar
- 24.Holden G, Legge NR, Quirk R, Schroeder MJM (1996) Thermoplastic elastomers. Hanser, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 25.Odarchenko Y, Doblas D, Rosenthal M, Broos R, Hernandez J, Soloviev M, Anokhin DV, Vidal L, Feijen J, Sijbrandi N, Mes E, Kimenai A, Bar G, Dijkstra P, Ivanov DA (2014) Primary chemical sequence ultimately determines crystal thickness in segmented all-aliphatic co-polymers. Macromolecules 47(22):7890–7899CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Sijbrandi NJ, Kimenai AJ, Mes EPC, Broos R, Bar G, Rosenthal M, Odarchenko YI, Ivanov DA, Dijkstra PJ, Feijen J (2012) Synthesis, morphology and properties of segmented poly(ether ester amide)s comprising uniform glycine or β-alanine extended bisoxalamide hard segments. Polymer 53:4033–4044CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Kohan MI (1995) Nylon plastics handbook. Hanser Publishers, MunichGoogle Scholar