Multiple-spike waves in a one-dimensional integrate-and-fire neural network
- 127 Downloads
This paper builds on the past study of single-spike waves in one-dimensional integrate-and-fire networks to provide a framework for the study of waves with arbitrary (finite or countably infinite) collections of spike times. Based on this framework, we prove an existence theorem for single-spike traveling waves, and we combine analysis and numerics to study two-spike traveling waves, periodic traveling waves, and general infinite spike trains. For a fixed wave speed, finite-spike waves, periodic waves, and other infinite-spike waves may all occur, and we discuss the relationships among them. We also relate the waves considered analytically to waves generated in numerical simulations by the transient application of localized excitation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Chagnac-Amitai, Y., Connors, B.W.: Horizontal spread of synchronized activity in neocortex and its control by GABA-mediated inhibition. J. Neurophysiol. 61, 747–758 (1989)Google Scholar
- 5.Chervin, R.D., Pierce, P.A., Connors, B.W.: Periodicity and directionality in the propagation of epileptiform discharges across neocortex. J. Neurophysiol. 60, 1695–1713 (1988)Google Scholar
- 6.Dayan, P., Abbott, L.: Theoretical Neuroscience. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 2001Google Scholar
- 9.Golomb, D., Amitai, Y.: Propagating neuronal discharges in neocortical slices: Computational and experimental study. J. Neurophysiol. 78, 1199–1211 (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Kim, U., Bal., T., McCormick, D.A.: Spindle waves are propagating synchronized oscillations in the ferret LGN in vitro. J. Neurophysiol. 74, 1301–1323 (1995)Google Scholar
- 14.Oşan, R., Rubin, J., Curtu R., Ermentrout, G.B.: Periodic traveling waves in a one-dimensional integrate-and-fire neural network. Neurocomputing 52–54, 869–875 (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Oşan, R., Ermentrout, G.B.: Two dimensional synaptically generated traveling waves in a theta-neuron neural network. Neurocomputing 38–40, 789–795 (2001)Google Scholar
- 19.Pinto, D.: Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- 20.Rinzel, J., Keller, J.B.: Traveling wave solutions of a nerve conduction equation. Biophys. J. 13, 1313–1337 (1973)Google Scholar
- 21.Stich, M.: Target patterns and pacemakers in reaction-diffusion systems. Ph.D. Dissertation, Technical University Berlin, 2002Google Scholar
- 22.Traub, R.D., Jefferys, J.G.R., Miles, R.: Analysis of propagation of disinhibition-induced after-discharges along the guinea-pig hippocampal slice in vitro. J. Physiol. Lond. 472, 267–287 (1993)Google Scholar