Relapses or reinfections: Analysis of a case of Clostridium difficile-associated colitis by two typing systems
- 41 Downloads
Immunoblotting and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis of Clostridium difficile isolates were employed to differentiate reinfection by a newly acquired strain from relapse by an original strain in a 10-year-old patient with four episodes of C. difficile-associated colitis. Immunoblot typing demonstrated subserogroup K-1 of serogroup K for the first and second organisms, subserogroup A-1 of serogroup A for the third organism, and subserogroup G-4 of serogroup G for the fourth organism. PFGE analysis revealed consistent results with immunoblot analysis except that the strains from the fourth episode, whose DNA constantly degraded, were nontypable by this method. Five separate isolates of C. difficile from a specimen of each episode showed identical PFGE patterns, indicating that infections of multiple strains probably did not occur in this patient. These typing results suggested that the second episode after a 17-day course of vancomycin therapy represented a relapse by the strain causing the first episode, and that the third and fourth episodes after tapering vancomycin therapy were reinfections by other strains. Both immunoblot and PFGE typing systems are promising tools for analyzing recurrence of C. difficile infection.
KeywordsVancomycin Norfloxacin Clostridium Difficile Restriction Endonuclease Analysis Vancomycin Therapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allen SD, Baron EJ (1991) Clostridium. In: Balows A, Hausler WJ Jr, Herrmann KL, Isenberg HD, Shadomy HJ (eds) Manual of clinical microbiology, 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Society for Microbiology, pp 505–521Google Scholar
- 3.Bordello SP, Wren BW, Hyde S, Seddon SV, Sibbons P, Krishna MM, Tabaqchali S, Manek S, Price AB (1992) Molecular, immunological, and biological characterization of a toxin A-negative, toxin B-positive strain of Clostridium difficile. Infect Immun 60: 4192–4199Google Scholar
- 4.Clabots CR, Johnson S, Bettin KM, Mathie PA, Mulligan ME, Shaberg DR, Peterson LR, Gerding DN (1993) Development of a rapid efficient restriction endonuclease analysis typing system for Clostridium difficile and correlation with other typing systems. J Clin Microbiol 31: 1870–1875PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Gorbach SL, Chang T-W, Goldin B (1987) Successful treatment of relapsing Clostridium difficile colitis with Lactobacillus GG. Lancet 1519Google Scholar
- 12.Kristjánsson M, Samore MH, Gerding DN, DeGirolami PC, Bettin KM, Karchmer AW, Arbeit RD (1994) Comparison of restriction endonuclease analysis, ribotyping, and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis for molecular differentiation of Clostridium difficile strains. J Clin Microbiol 32: 1963–1969PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Summanen P, Baron EJ, Citron DM, Strong C, Wexler HM, Finegold SM (eds) (1993) Wadsworth anaerobic bacteriology manual, 5th ed. Belmont, California: Star Publishing Co.Google Scholar