First Evidence of Altererythrobacter sp. LY02 with Indirect Algicidal Activity on the Toxic Dinoflagellate, Alexandrium tamarense
Alexandrium tamarense is a toxic harmful algal blooms (HABs) causing species, which poses great threat to human health and marine economy. In this study, we isolated an algicidal bacterium Altererythrobacter sp. LY02 towards to A. tamarense and later investigated the algicidal activity, algicidal mode, characteristics of algicidal active substance and algicidal procedure. The results indicated that the cell-free filtrate of strain LY02 showed high algicidal effect on algal growth, however, bacterial cells almost lost algicidal activity. The algicidal active substance was temperature- and pH-stability, and its molecular weight was less than 1000 Da, and was a non-proteinaceous material or non-polysaccharide, mid-polar substance. Under the algicidal effect of active substance, the morphology and structure of A. tamarense cells were seriously damaged as well as organelles. Our study confirmed that the algicidal active substance could be used as an excellent bio-agent for controlling HABs caused by A. tamarense.
- 13.Guillard RR (1975) Culture of phytoplankton for feeding marine invertebrates. In: Culture of marine invertebrate animals. Springer, pp 29–60Google Scholar
- 19.Kwon KK, Woo JH, Yang SH, Kang JH, Kang SG, Kim SJ, Sato T et al (2007) Kato CAltererythrobacter epoxidivorans gen. nov., sp. nov., an epoxide hydrolase-active, mesophilic marine bacterium isolated from cold-seep sediment, and reclassification of Erythrobacter luteolus Yoon, 2005 as Altererythrobacter luteolus comb. nov. Int J Syst Evol Micr 57:2207–2211CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Li D, Zhang H, Fu L, An X, Zhang B, Li Y, Chen Z, Zheng W, Yi L, Zheng T (2014) A novel algicide: evidence of the effect of a fatty acid compound from the marine bacterium, Vibrio sp. BS02 on the harmful dinoflagellate, Alexandrium tamarense. PLoS One 9:e91201CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 24.Li Y, Zhu H, Guan C, Zhang H, Guo J, Chen Z, Cai G, Lei X, Zheng W, Tian Y (2014) Towards molecular, physiological, and biochemical understanding of photosynthetic inhibition and oxidative stress in the toxic Alexandrium tamarense induced by a marine bacterium. Appl Microbiol Biot 98:4637–4652CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Kirchman DL (2002) The ecology of Cytophaga–Flavobacteria in aquatic environment. FEMS Microbiol Ecol 2:91–100Google Scholar
- 31.Sakata T, Yoshikawa T, Nishitarumizu S (2011) Algicidal activity and identification of an algicidal substance produced by marine Pseudomonas sp. C55a-2. Fisheries Sci 17:2601–2607Google Scholar