Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Mass Transport and Structure Inside a Phototrophic Biofilm
- 341 Downloads
The aim of this study was to utilize magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to image structural heterogeneity and mass transport inside a biofilm which was too thick for photon based imaging. MRI was used to map water diffusion and image the transport of the paramagnetically tagged macromolecule, Gd-DTPA, inside a 2.5 mm thick cyanobacterial biofilm. The structural heterogeneity of the biofilm was imaged at resolutions down to 22 × 22 μm, enabling the impact of biofilm architecture on the mass transport of both water and Gd-DTPA to be investigated. Higher density areas of the biofilm correlated with areas exhibiting lower relative water diffusion coefficients and slower transport of Gd-DTPA, highlighting the impact of biofilm structure on mass transport phenomena. This approach has potential for shedding light on heterogeneous mass transport of a range of molecular mass molecules in biofilms.
KeywordsDTPA Water Diffusion Phormidium High Solid Content Radio Frequency Coil
This work was funded by a Lord Kelvin and Adam Smith Scholarship, University of Glasgow and funding from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EP/G028443/1). We thank Jim Mullen for his assistance with RF coil building and MRI experiments.
- 6.Callaghan PT (1993) Principles of nuclear magnetic resonance microscopy. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 7.deBeer D, Stoodley P, Lewandowski Z (1997) Measurement of local diffusion coefficients in biofilms by microinjection and confocal microscopy. Biotechnol Bioeng 53(2):151–158. doi: 10.1002/(sici)1097-0290(19970120)53:2<151:aid-bit4>3.0.co;2-n CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Gordon MJ, Chu KC, Margaritis A, Martin AJ, Ethier CR, Rutt BK (1999) Measurement of Gd-DTPA diffusion through PVA hydrogel using a novel magnetic resonance imaging method. Biotechnol Bioeng 65(4):459–467. doi: 10.1002/(sici)1097-0290(19991120)65:4<459:aid-bit10>3.0.co;2-o PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Rippka R, Deruelles J, Waterbury JB, Herdman M, Stanier RY (1979) Generic assignments, strain histories and properties of pure cultures of cyanobacteria. J Gen Microbiol 111 (MAR):1–61Google Scholar
- 19.Stewart PS (1998) A review of experimental measurements of effective diffusive permeabilities and effective diffusion coefficients in biofilms. Biotechnol Bioeng 59(3):261–272. doi: 10.1002/(sici)1097-0290(19980805)59:3<261:aid-bit1>3.0.co;2-9 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar