Phylogenetic Evidence Suggests That Strains of Aeromonas hydrophila subsp. dhakensis Belong to the Species Aeromonas aquariorum sp. nov.
- 336 Downloads
Three strains of Aeromonas hydrophila subspecies dhakensis, including the type strain, were subjected to phylogenetic analysis by sequencing gyrB, rpoD, and 16S rRNA genes and compared with all known Aeromonas species. The obtained gyrB and rpoD phylogenetic trees clearly suggested that these A. hydrophila subsp. dhakensis strains indeed belong to the species A. aquariorum. This finding may indicate that, at the time of “dhakensis” subspecies description, the strains were incorrectly identified as A. hydrophila by a polyphasic approach that included DNA–DNA hybridization.
KeywordsAeromonas Aeromonas Hydrophila Ornamental Fish Aeromonas Species Enterobacterial Repetitive Intergenic Consensus
The authors are grateful to Drs. Stackebrandt, Euzeby, and Tindall for comments on rules of nomenclature. Work at MDC was supported by grant IMIDTA/2007/68 from IMPIVA, Generalitat Valenciana, Spain. M. J. Saavedra was recipient of a grant (SFRH/BSAB/774/2008) from the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia. This work was also supported by funds from the European Commission for the Healthy Water project (FOOD-CT-2006-036306). The authors are solely responsible for the content of this publication. It does not represent the opinion of the European Commission. The European Commission is not responsible for any use that might be made of data appearing herein.
- 1.Carnahan AM (1993) Aeromonas taxonomy: A sea of change. 4th International Workshop on Aeromonas/Plesiomonas. Atlanta, GA. Med Microbiol Newslett 2:206–211Google Scholar
- 6.Huys G, Kämpfer P, Swing J (2001) New DNA-DNA hybridization and phenotypic data on the species Aeromonas ichthiosmia and Aeromonas allosaccharophila: A. ichthiosmia Shubert et al. 1990 is a later synonym of A. veronii Hickman-Brenner et al. 1987. Syst Appl Microbiol 24:177–182PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Huys G, Kämpfer P, Albert MJ, Kühn I, Denys R, Swing J (2002a) Aeromonas hydrophila subsp. dhakensis subsp. nov., isolated from children with diarrhoea in Bangladesh, and extended description of Aeromonas hydrophila subsp. hydrophila (Chester 1901) Stanier 1943 (Approved List 1980). Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 52:1969–1972PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Kumar S, Tamura K, Jakobsen IB, Nei M (2001) MEGA2: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis software. Bioinformatics 50:602–612Google Scholar
- 13.Martin-Carnahan A, Joseph SW (2005) Order XII. Aeromonadales ord. nov. In: Brenner DJ, Krieg NR, Staley JT, Garrity GM (eds) Bergey′s manual of systematic bacteriology, vol 2, 2nd ed. New York, NY, Springer-Verlag, pp 556–578Google Scholar
- 27.Schubert RHW, Hegazi M, Wahlig W (1990) Aeromonas enteropelogenes species nova. Hyg Med 15:471–472Google Scholar
- 28.Schubert RHW, Hegazi M, Wahlig W (1990) Aeromonas ichthiosmia species nova. Hyg Med 15:477–479Google Scholar