Twenty-Two Moves Suffice for Rubik’s Cube®
- 1.2k Downloads
KeywordsMove Sequence Search Phase Middle Edge Inverse Position Cube Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was greatly helped by discussions with Silviu Radu; it was he who directed us to the subgroup (called H here) used by Kociemba. We are also grateful to Herbert Kociemba for both his original 1992 algorithm (and its implementation in Cube Explorer) and for ongoing e-mail discussions that have led to significant simplifications and performance improvements in the set solver. Many thanks also to John Welborn and Sony Pictures Imageworks, who donated massive computer time toward this project. The list of cosets and our calculated distance bounds are available at http://johnwelborn.com/rubik22/.
- Joyner, David. Adventures in Group Theory: Rubik’s Cube, Merlin’s Magic and Other Mathematical Toys. Baltimore: The John Hopkins University Press, 2008.Google Scholar
- Kociemba, Herbert. “Close to God’s Algorithm.” Cubism for Fun 28 (April), 1992, pp. 10–13.Google Scholar
- Kociemba, Herbert. Cube Explorer (Windows Program). http://kociemba.org/cube.htm
- Kunkle, D., Cooperman, G. “Twenty-Six Moves Suffice for Rubik’s Cube.” Proceedings of the International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation (ISSAC ’07), 2007. ACM Press, Waterloo.Google Scholar
- Korf, Richard E. “Finding Optimal Solutions to Rubik’s Cube Using Pattern Databases.” Proceedings of the Workshop on Computer Games (W31) at IJCAI-97, 1997, Nagoya.Google Scholar
- Radu, Silviu. “New Upper Bounds on Rubik’s Cube,” 2006. http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/publications/download/risc_3122/uppernew3.ps
- Reid, Michael. “New Upper Bounds.” Cube Lovers, 7 (January), 1995. http://www.math.ucf.edu/^reid/Rubik/Cubelovers/
- Reid, Michael. “Superflip Requires 20 Face Turns.” Cube Lovers, 18 (January), 1995. http://www.math.ucf.edu/^reid/Rubik/Cubelovers/
- Rokicki, Tomas. “In Search Of: 21f*s and 20f*s; a Four Month Odyssey,” May 7, 2006. http://www.cubezzz.homelinux.org/drupal/?q=node/view/56
- Sloane, N. J. A. “Sequence A080601 (Sum of the First Seven Terms).” Online Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences.Google Scholar