Efficacy and safety of taxane monotherapy in advanced gastric cancer refractory to triplet chemotherapy with docetaxel, cisplatin, and S-1: a multicenter retrospective study
- 474 Downloads
Taxane monotherapy is widely used for advanced gastric cancer (AGC) after failure of standard first-line chemotherapy with fluoropyrimidine and cisplatin. Triplet chemotherapy with docetaxel, cisplatin, and S-1 (DCS) is a promising regimen for first-line chemotherapy of AGC. The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of taxane monotherapy in patients refractory to DCS.
We retrospectively evaluated the efficacy and safety of taxane monotherapy in patients with AGC refractory to first-line therapy with DCS between January 2010 and April 2015. Selection criteria were as follows: ECOG PS of 0–2, treatment with taxane monotherapy in second-line or third-line therapy after failure of second-line irinotecan, absence of massive ascites, and adequate organ function.
A total of 30 patients were included in this study. Of these, 15 patients received paclitaxel while another 15 received nanoparticle albumin-bound paclitaxel in either second- or third-line treatment. Median age for the second/third-line group was 64.0/62.0 (range 27–75/42–75); 14/13 (93.3/86.7%) had ECOG PS of 0 or 1. No patients achieved complete or partial response and stable disease was observed in 37.5/35.7% of the patients in the second/third line. Median progression-free survival and overall survival were 3.4 and 5.8 months in the second-line group, and 2.0 and 4.5 months in the third-line group, respectively. The incidences of any grade ≥3 adverse events in the second-line group and the third-line group were 60.0 and 33.3%, respectively. There was no treatment-related death.
Taxane monotherapy after DCS failure had acceptable toxicities but was ineffective in AGC patients.
KeywordsStomach neoplasms Drug therapy Docetaxel Paclitaxel Albumin-bound paclitaxel
We would like to express our sincere thanks to all patients and investigators.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have declared no conflicts of interest.
This study was approved by the ethics committee of each participating hospital and was performed in accordance with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was not required for this study.
- 2.Koizumi W, Narahara H, Hara T, Takagane A, Akiya T, Takagi M, Miyashita K, Nishizaki T, Kobayashi O, Takiyama W, Toh Y, Nagaie T, Takagi S, Yamamura Y, Yanaoka K, Orita H, Takeuchi M (2008) S-1 plus cisplatin versus S-1 alone for first-line treatment of advanced gastric cancer (SPIRITS trial): a phase III trial. Lancet Oncol 9(3):215–221. doi: 10.1016/s1470-2045(08)70035-4 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Van Cutsem E, Moiseyenko VM, Tjulandin S, Majlis A, Constenla M, Boni C, Rodrigues A, Fodor M, Chao Y, Voznyi E, Risse ML, Ajani JA (2006) Phase III study of docetaxel and cisplatin plus fluorouracil compared with cisplatin and fluorouracil as first-line therapy for advanced gastric cancer: a report of the V325 Study Group. J Clin Oncol 24(31):4991–4997. doi: 10.1200/jco.2006.06.8429 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Wilke H, Muro K, Van Cutsem E, Oh SC, Bodoky G, Shimada Y, Hironaka S, Sugimoto N, Lipatov O, Kim TY, Cunningham D, Rougier P, Komatsu Y, Ajani J, Emig M, Carlesi R, Ferry D, Chandrawansa K, Schwartz JD, Ohtsu A (2014) Ramucirumab plus paclitaxel versus placebo plus paclitaxel in patients with previously treated advanced gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction adenocarcinoma (RAINBOW): a double-blind, randomised phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol 15(11):1224–1235. doi: 10.1016/s1470-2045(14)70420-6 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Fuchs CS, Tomasek J, Yong CJ, Dumitru F, Passalacqua R, Goswami C, Safran H, dos Santos LV, Aprile G, Ferry DR, Melichar B, Tehfe M, Topuzov E, Zalcberg JR, Chau I, Campbell W, Sivanandan C, Pikiel J, Koshiji M, Hsu Y, Liepa AM, Gao L, Schwartz JD, Tabernero J (2014) Ramucirumab monotherapy for previously treated advanced gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction adenocarcinoma (REGARD): an international, randomised, multicentre, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet 383(9911):31–39. doi: 10.1016/s0140-6736(13)61719-5 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Hironaka S, Ueda S, Yasui H, Nishina T, Tsuda M, Tsumura T, Sugimoto N, Shimodaira H, Tokunaga S, Moriwaki T, Esaki T, Nagase M, Fujitani K, Yamaguchi K, Ura T, Hamamoto Y, Morita S, Okamoto I, Boku N, Hyodo I (2013) Randomized, open-label, phase III study comparing irinotecan with paclitaxel in patients with advanced gastric cancer without severe peritoneal metastasis after failure of prior combination chemotherapy using fluoropyrimidine plus platinum: WJOG 4007 trial. J Clin Oncol 31(35):4438–4444. doi: 10.1200/jco.2012.48.5805 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Shimoyama R, Yasui H, Boku N, Onozawa Y, Hironaka S, Fukutomi A, Yamazaki K, Taku K, Kojima T, Machida N, Todaka A, Tomita H, Sakamoto T, Tsushima T (2009) Weekly paclitaxel for heavily treated advanced or recurrent gastric cancer refractory to fluorouracil, irinotecan, and cisplatin. Gastric Cancer 12(4):206–211. doi: 10.1007/s10120-009-0524-9 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Yonemori K, Katsumata N, Uno H, Matsumoto K, Kouno T, Tokunaga S, Yamanaka Y, Shimizu C, Ando M, Takeuchi M, Fujiwara Y (2005) Efficacy of weekly paclitaxel in patients with docetaxel-resistant metastatic breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 89(3):237–241. doi: 10.1007/s10549-004-2184-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Ando T, Hosokawa A, Kajiura S, Itaya Y, Ueda A, Fujinami H, Nishikawa J, Kobayashi T, Horikawa N, Tsukioka Y, Yabushita K, Note M, Ogawa K, Sugiyama T (2012) Efficacy of weekly paclitaxel in patients with advanced gastric cancer refractory to docetaxel-based chemotherapy. Gastric Cancer 15(4):427–432. doi: 10.1007/s10120-011-0135-0 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Shimura T, Kitagawa M, Yamada T, Yoshida M, Ebi M, Hirata Y, Mizushima T, Mizoshita T, Tanida S, Kataoka H, Kamiya T, Joh T (2012) The impact of cross-resistance between paclitaxel and docetaxel for metastatic gastric cancer. Onkologie 35(4):176–183. doi: 10.1159/000337400 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Ford HE, Marshall A, Bridgewater JA, Janowitz T, Coxon FY, Wadsley J, Mansoor W, Fyfe D, Madhusudan S, Middleton GW, Swinson D, Falk S, Chau I, Cunningham D, Kareclas P, Cook N, Blazeby JM, Dunn JA (2014) Docetaxel versus active symptom control for refractory oesophagogastric adenocarcinoma (COUGAR-02): an open-label, phase 3 randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol 15(1):78–86. doi: 10.1016/s1470-2045(13)70549-7 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Thuss-Patience PC, Kretzschmar A, Bichev D, Deist T, Hinke A, Breithaupt K, Dogan Y, Gebauer B, Schumacher G, Reichardt P (2011) Survival advantage for irinotecan versus best supportive care as second-line chemotherapy in gastric cancer–a randomised phase III study of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Internistische Onkologie (AIO). Eur J Cancer 47(15):2306–2314. doi: 10.1016/j.ejca.2011.06.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Kang JH, Lee SI, Limdo H, Park KW, Oh SY, Kwon HC, Hwang IG, Lee SC, Nam E, Shin DB, Lee J, Park JO, Park YS, Lim HY, Kang WK, Park SH (2012) Salvage chemotherapy for pretreated gastric cancer: a randomized phase III trial comparing chemotherapy plus best supportive care with best supportive care alone. J Clin Oncol 30(13):1513–1518. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2011.39.4585 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Shitara K, Takashima A, Fujitani K, Koeda K, Hara H, Nakayama N, Hironaka S, Nishikawa K, Makari Y, Amagai K, Ueda S, Yoshida K, Shimodaira H, Nishina T, Tsuda M, Kurokawa Y, Tamura T, Sasaki Y, Morita S, Koizumi W (2017) Nab-paclitaxel versus solvent-based paclitaxel in patients with previously treated advanced gastric cancer (ABSOLUTE): an open-label, randomised, non-inferiority, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2(4):277–287PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Imai H, Komine K, Takahashi S, Saijo K, Okada Y, Kobayashi A, Okita A, Chikamatsu S, Kasahara Y, Takahashi M, Oishi T, Shirota H, Takahashi M, Shimodaira H, Ishioka C (2016) Efficacy and safety assessment of paclitaxel in patients with docetaxel-resistant esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Chemotherapy 61(5):262–268. doi: 10.1159/000444122 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Sonpavde G, Pond GR, Mullane S, Qu AQ, Di Lorenzo G, Federico P, Necchi A, Rosenberg JE, Bellmunt J, Choueiri TK (2015) Incomplete cross-resistance between taxanes for advanced urothelial carcinoma: implications for clinical practice and trial design. Clin Genitourin Cancer 13(3):250–256. doi: 10.1016/j.clgc.2014.10.005 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Ohtsu A, Ajani JA, Bai YX, Bang YJ, Chung HC, Pan HM, Sahmoud T, Shen L, Yeh KH, Chin K, Muro K, Kim YH, Ferry D, Tebbutt NC, Al-Batran SE, Smith H, Costantini C, Rizvi S, Lebwohl D, Van Cutsem E (2013) Everolimus for previously treated advanced gastric cancer: results of the randomized, double-blind, phase III GRANITE-1 study. J Clin Oncol 31(31):3935–3943. doi: 10.1200/jco.2012.48.3552 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar