Population PK/PD modeling of eltrombopag in subjects with advanced solid tumors with chemotherapy-induced thrombocytopenia
Eltrombopag, a thrombopoietin receptor agonist, is being evaluated for the treatment of chemotherapy-induced thrombocytopenia. Due to the delay in platelet response after the administration of eltrombopag or chemotherapy, a modeling and simulation approach was used to optimize the eltrombopag dosing regimen.
Pharmacokinetic (PK) data from 2 studies in healthy subjects and PK and platelet data from a Phase II study in subjects with cancer receiving carboplatin/paclitaxel (where eltrombopag was given 10 days after chemotherapy) were used to develop a nonlinear mixed-effects PK/PD model. Alternative eltrombopag dosing regimens were then simulated.
The PK model was a linear two-compartment model with first-order absorption. Being Asian, female, and >50 years of age were associated with higher eltrombopag exposure. The time course of platelet counts was described by a four-compartment transit model. Carboplatin inhibited platelet precursor production linearly with dose, with increased effect with each cycle of chemotherapy. Eltrombopag stimulated platelet precursor production, proportional to plasma eltrombopag concentration, and stimulation (slope of the concentration effect) was attenuated with each cycle of chemotherapy.
Simulations indicated that eltrombopag administered 5 days before and 5 days after chemotherapy minimizes the decrease and fluctuations in platelet counts relative to other evaluated dosing regimens.
KeywordsPlatelet counts Chemotherapy-induced thrombocytopenia Population pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamics model Schedule optimization
- 1.Promacta prescribing information. http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_promacta.pdf
- 5.Kellum A, Jagiello-Gruszfeld A, Bondarenko IN, Patwardhan R, Messam C, Kamel YM (2010) A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose ranging study to assess the efficacy and safety of eltrombopag in patients receiving carboplatin/paclitaxel for advanced solid tumors. Curr Med Res Opin 26(10):2339–2346PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Jenkins J, Williams D, Deng Y, Collins DA, Kitchen VS (2010) Eltrombopag, an oral thrombopoietin receptor agonist, has no impact on the pharmacokinetic profile of probe drugs for cytochrome P450 isoenzymes CYP3A4, CYP1A2, CYP2C9 and CYP2C19 in healthy men: a cocktail analysis. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 66:67–76PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Beal SL, Sheiner LB, Boeckmann AJ (eds) NONMEM Users Guides (1989–2006). Icon Development Solutions, Ellicott CityGoogle Scholar
- 12.Gastonguay MR (2011) Full covariate models as an alternative to methods relying on statistical significance for inferences about covariate effects: a review of methodology and 42 case studies. PAGE 20, Abstr 2229. www.page-meeting.org/?abstract=2229
- 13.Harrell FE (2001) Regression modeling strategies: with applications to linear models, logistic regression, and survival analysis. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 14.Chawla SP, Staddon A, Hendifar A, Messam CA, Patwardhan R, Mostafa Kamel Y (2013) Results of a phase I dose escalation study of eltrombopag in patients with advanced soft tissue sarcoma receiving doxorubicin and ifosfamide. BMC Cancer 13:121. doi:10.1186/1471-2407-13-121
- 15.Joerger M, Huitema ADR, Richel DJ, Dittrich C, Pavlidis N, Briasoulis E et al (2007) Population pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of paclitaxel and carboplatin in ovarian cancer patients: a study by the European organization for research and treatment of cancer-pharmacology and molecular mechanisms group and new drug development group. Clin Cancer Res 13(21):6410–6418PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Zhang J, Williams DD, Moore KP (2009) Use of eltrombopag exposure-platelet response relationship for dose optimization in patients with chronic HCV-infection with and without interferon. PAGE 18, Abstr 1494. www.page-meeting.org/?abstract=1494
- 21.Chalret du Rieu Q, Fouliard S, White-Koning M, Jacquet A, Kloos I, Depil S, Chatelut E, Chenel M (2012) Semi-mechanistic thrombocytopenia model of a new histone deacetylase inhibitor (HDACi) in development, with a drug-induced apoptosis of megakaryocytes. PAGE 21, Abstr 2503. www.page-meeting.org/?abstract=2503
- 22.Meille C, Reddy MB, Walz A, Retout S, Nichols G, Glenn K, Pignatello M, Bottino D, Zhi J, Middleton S, Lavé T (2012) Modified model of drug induced thrombocytopenia efficiently projects safe starting dose in human from preclinical data. PAGE 21, Abstr 2446. www.page-meeting.org/?abstract=2446
- 23.Kaefer A, Yang J, Xiong H, Pradhan R, Jaeger M, Noertersheuser P, Mensing S. Evaluation of the long-term decline of platelets following Navitoclax (ABT-263) administration in Cancer Patients with a semi-physiological pharmacodynamic modelGoogle Scholar
- 24.Retout S, Meille C, Nichols G, Middleton S, Bottino D, Frey N (2012) Prediction of occurrence of thrombocytopenia to select Phase 1b dose and dosing regimen for a selective inhibitor of p53-MDM2 in patients with solid tumors. PAGE 21, Abstr 2391. www.page-meeting.org/?abstract=2391