A multi-institution phase II study of gemcitabine/S-1 combination chemotherapy for patients with advanced biliary tract cancer
We aimed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of gemcitabine/S-1 combination chemotherapy for the treatment of patients with advanced biliary tract cancer.
Patients with histologically or cytologically confirmed unresectable or recurrent biliary tract cancer were eligible for inclusion. The primary endpoint was overall survival. Gemcitabine was administered intravenously at a dose of 1,000 mg/m2 over 30 min on days 1 and 8, and oral S-1 was administered daily at a dose of 60 mg/m2 on days 1–14. This schedule was repeated every 3 weeks until disease progression or patient refusal.
Twenty-five patients were enrolled between October 2007 and January 2009. Eleven patients (44%) had extrahepatic bile duct cancer, 5 (20%) had intrahepatic bile duct cancer, 8 had gallbladder cancer (32%), and 1 (4%) had ampulla of Vater cancer. The median overall survival time was 12.7 months (95% CI, 8.4–23.5 months), and the 1-year survival rate was 52.0% (95% CI, 31.2–69.2%). Of the 23 patients with evaluable target regions, seven patients experienced a partial response, and an overall response rate was 30.4%. The following grade 3–4 hematological toxicities occurred: neutropenia (56%), leukopenia (24%), anemia (8%) and thrombocytopenia (4%). In spite of the high incidence of grade 3–4 neutropenia, no patients developed febrile neutropenia in the present study. The major grade 3–4 non-hematological toxicities were fatigue (8%), anorexia (8%) and diarrhea (4%).
Gemcitabine/S-1 combination chemotherapy offered a promising survival benefit with acceptable toxicity in patients with advanced biliary tract cancer.
KeywordsBiliary tract cancer Gemcitabine S-1 Chemotherapy
This work was supported by the Smoking Research Foundation. We thank Hiroe Tada for her valuable support.
- 1.Boku N, Yamamoto S, Fukuda H, Shirao K, Doi T, Sawaki A, Koizumi W, Saito H, Yamaguchi K, Takiuchi H, Nasu J, Ohtsu A (2009) Fluorouracil versus combination of irinotecan plus cisplatin versus S-1 in metastatic gastric cancer: a randomised phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol 10:1063–1069PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Furuse J, Okusaka T, MIyazaki M, Tainai H, Nimura Y (2009) A randomized study of gemcitabine/cisplatin versus single-agent gemcitabine in patients with biliary tract cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 27: abstract no: 4579Google Scholar
- 8.Jarnagin WR, Ruo L, Little SA, Klimstra D, D’Angelica M, DeMatteo RP, Wagman R, Blumgart LH, Fong Y (2003) Patterns of initial disease recurrence after resection of gallbladder carcinoma and hilar cholangiocarcinoma: implications for adjuvant therapeutic strategies. Cancer 98:1689–1700PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Kiba T, Nishimura T, Matsumoto S, Hatano E, Mori A, Yasumi S, Doi R, Ikai I, Kitano T, Nishimura T, Yoshikawa K, Ishiguro H, Yanagihara K, Doi E, Teramukai S, Fukushima M (2006) Single-agent gemcitabine for biliary tract cancers. Study outcomes and systematic review of the literature. Oncology 70:358–365PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Koeberle D, Saletti P, Borner M, Gerber D, Dietrich D, Caspar CB, Mingrone W, Beretta K, Strasser F, Ruhstaller T, Mora O, Herrmann R (2008) Patient-reported outcomes of patients with advanced biliary tract cancers receiving gemcitabine plus capecitabine: a multicenter, phase II trial of the Swiss Group for Clinical Cancer Research. J Clin Oncol 26:3702–3708PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Koizumi W, Akiya T, Sato A, Sakuyama T, Sasaki E, Tomidokoro T, Hamada T, Fujimori M, Kikuchi Y, Shimada K, Mine T, Yamaguchi K, Sasaki T, Kurihara M (2010) Phase II study of S-1 as first-line treatment for elderly patients over 75 years of age with advanced gastric cancer: the Tokyo Cooperative Oncology Group study. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 65:1093–1099Google Scholar
- 16.Oh DY, Cha Y, Choi IS, Yoon SY, Choi IK, Kim JH, Oh SC, Kim CD, Kim JS, Bang YJ, Kim YH (2010) A multicenter phase II study of gemcitabine and S-1 combination chemotherapy in patients with unresectable pancreatic cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 65:527–536Google Scholar
- 20.Sasaki T, Isayama H, Nakai Y, Ito Y, Kogure H, Togawa O, Toda N, Yasuda I, Hasebe O, Maetani I, Sasahira N, Hirano K, Tsujino T, Tada M, Omata M (2010) Multicenter, phase II study of gemcitabine and S-1 combination chemotherapy in patients with advanced biliary tract cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 65:1101–1107PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Therasse P, Arbuck SG, Eisenhauer EA, Wanders J, Kaplan RS, Rubinstein L, Verweij J, Van Glabbeke M, van Oosterom AT, Christian MC, Gwyther SG (2000) New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, National Cancer Institute of the United States, National Cancer Institute of Canada. J Natl Cancer Inst 92:205–216PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Valle JW, Wasan H, Johnson P, Jones E, Dixon L, Swindell R, Baka S, Maraveyas A, Corrie P, Falk S, Gollins S, Lofts F, Evans L, Meyer T, Anthoney A, Iveson T, Highley M, Osborne R, Bridgewater J (2009) Gemcitabine alone or in combination with cisplatin in patients with advanced or metastatic cholangiocarcinomas or other biliary tract tumours: a multicentre randomised phase II study—The UK ABC-01 Study. Br J Cancer 101:621–627PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Valle J, Wasan H, Palmer DH, Cunningham D, Anthoney A, Maraveyas A, Madhusudan S, Iveson T, Hughes S, Pereira SP, Roughton M, Bridgewater J, ABC-02 Trial Investigators (2010) Cisplatin plus gemcitabine versus gemcitabine for biliary tract cancer. N Engl J Med 362:1273–1281PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Yamauchi J, Kanai M, Matsumoto S, Nishimura T, Yazumi S, Kami K, Kawaguchi Y, Yasuda H, Kitano T, Misawa A, Ishiguro H, Yoshikawa K, Yanagihara K, Fukushima M, Doi R, Chiba T (2008) Clinical outcome of gemcitabine/S-1 combination therapy for advanced pancreatic cancer. Pancreas 36:327–328PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Yanagihara K, Yoshimura K, Niimi M, Yasuda H, Sasaki T, Nishimura T, Ishiguro H, Matsumoto S, Kitano T, Kanai M, Misawa A, Tada H, Teramukai S, Mio T, Fukushima M (2010) Phase II study of S-1 and docetaxel for previously treated patients with locally advanced or metastatic non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 66:913–918Google Scholar