The polymorphisms of TS and MTHFR predict survival of gastric cancer patients treated with fluorouracil-based adjuvant chemotherapy in Chinese population
- 268 Downloads
The aim of this study was to investigate the association of the thymidylate synthase (TS) and methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) polymorphisms with the clinical outcomes of gastric cancer patients treated with 5-FU-based adjuvant chemotherapy.
One-hundred and sixteen patients with gastric cancer were treated with 5-FU-based adjuvant chemotherapy. The TS (a 28-bp tandem repeat polymorphism in the TS enhancer region (TSER) and a 6 bp deletion/insertion polymorphism in the 3′-untranslated region) and MTHFR C677T polymorphisms were determined in blood samples from those patients using PCR and PCR-LDR (ligation detection reaction) method, respectively.
The overall survival (OS) in patients with the TS ins6/ins6 genotype was significantly shorter than those in patients with the del6/del6 (P = 0.017) and ins6/del6 (P = 0.022) genotype. The relapse-free survival (RFS) and OS in patients with the MTHFR C/C genotype were significantly worse than those in patients with the T/T or C/T genotype (P = 0.043 and 0.040, respectively). Cox multivariate analysis also showed that patients with the TS ins6/ins6 genotype have worse OS than patients with the T/T or C/T genotype (HR = 2.437, P = 0.041), and the MTHFR C/C genotype was associated with shorter RFS (HR = 1.723, P = 0.031) and OS (HR = 1.681, P = 0.056). No significant association was found between the TSER polymorphism and the clinical outcomes (P > 0.05).
The polymorphisms of TS 3′-UTR ins6/del6 and MTHFR C677T appear to be potential prognostic factors in gastric cancer patients treated with 5-FU-based adjuvant chemotherapy, which may allow identification of gastric cancer patients who will benefit from 5-FU chemotherapy.
KeywordsGastric cancer Adjuvant chemotherapy Polymorphism 5-Fluorouracil Thymidylate synthase Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase
This work was supported in part by a grant from the Scientific and Technologic Bureau of Wuxi (CLZ00612).
- 2.Mari E, Floriani I, Tinazzi A, Buda A, Belfiglio M, Valentini M, Cascinu S, Barni S, Labianca R, Torri V (2000) Efficacy of adjuvant chemotherapy after curative resection for gastric cancer: a meta-analysis of published randomised trials. A study of the GISCAD (Gruppo Italiano per lo Studio dei Carcinomi dell’Apparato Digerente). Ann Oncol 11:837–843PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Ott K, Vogelsang H, Marton N, Becker K, Lordick F, Kobl M, Schuhmacher C, Novotny A, Mueller J, Fink U, Ulm K, Siewert JR, Hofler H, Keller G (2006) The thymidylate synthase tandem repeat promoter polymorphism: a predictor for tumor-related survival in neoadjuvant treated locally advanced gastric cancer. Int J Cancer 119:2885–2894PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Kawakami K, Salonga D, Park JM, Danenberg KD, Uetake H, Brabender J, Omura K, Watanabe G, Danenberg PV (2001) Different lengths of a polymorphic repeat sequence in the thymidylate synthase gene affect translational efficiency but not its gene expression. Clin Cancer Res 7:4096–4101PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Ruzzo A, Graziano F, Kawakami K, Watanabe G, Santini D, Catalano V, Bisonni R, Canestrari E, Ficarelli R, Menichetti ET, Mari D, Testa E, Silva R, Vincenzi B, Giordani P, Cascinu S, Giustini L, Tonini G, Magnani M (2006) Pharmacogenetic profiling and clinical outcome of patients with advanced gastric cancer treated with palliative chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 24:1883–1891PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Pare L, Altes A, Ramon y Cajal T, Del Rio E, Alonso C, Sedano L, Barnadas A, Baiget M (2007) Influence of thymidylate synthase and methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene polymorphisms on the disease-free survival of breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant 5-fluorouracil/methotrexate-based therapy. Anticancer Drugs 18:821–825PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Huang ZH, Hua D, Li LH, Zhu JD (2008) Prognostic role of p53 codon 72 polymorphism in gastric cancer patients treated with fluorouracil-based adjuvant chemotherapy. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol (in press)Google Scholar
- 22.Martinez-Balibrea E, Manzano JL, Martinez-Cardus A, Moran T, Cirauqui B, Catot S, Taron M, Abad A (2007) Combined analysis of genetic polymorphisms in thymidylate synthase, uridine diphosphate glucoronosyltransferase and X-ray cross complementing factor 1 genes as a prognostic factor in advanced colorectal cancer patients treated with 5-fluorouracil plus oxaliplatin or irinotecan. Oncol Rep 17:637–645PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Lecomte T, Ferraz JM, Zinzindohoue F, Loriot MA, Tregouet DA, Landi B, Berger A, Cugnenc PH, Jian R, Beaune P, Laurent-Puig P (2004) Thymidylate synthase gene polymorphism predicts toxicity in colorectal cancer patients receiving 5-fluorouracil-based chemotherapy. Clin Cancer Res 10:5880–5888PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Ruzzo A, Graziano F, Loupakis F, Rulli E, Canestrari E, Santini D, Catalano V, Ficarelli R, Maltese P, Bisonni R, Masi G, Schiavon G, Giordani P, Giustini L, Falcone A, Tonini G, Silva R, Mattioli R, Floriani I, Magnani M (2007) Pharmacogenetic profiling in patients with advanced colorectal cancer treated with first-line FOLFOX-4 chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 25:1247–1254PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Dotor E, Cuatrecases M, Martinez-Iniesta M, Navarro M, Vilardell F, Guino E, Pareja L, Figueras A, Mollevi DG, Serrano T, de Oca J, Peinado MA, Moreno V, Germa JR, Capella G, Villanueva A (2006) Tumor thymidylate synthase 1494del6 genotype as a prognostic factor in colorectal cancer patients receiving fluorouracil-based adjuvant treatment. J Clin Oncol 24:1603–1611PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Kawakami K, Graziano F, Watanabe G, Ruzzo A, Santini D, Catalano V, Bisonni R, Arduini F, Bearzi I, Cascinu S, Muretto P, Perrone G, Rabitti C, Giustini L, Tonini G, Pizzagalli F, Magnani M (2005) Prognostic role of thymidylate synthase polymorphisms in gastric cancer patients treated with surgery and adjuvant chemotherapy. Clin Cancer Res 11:3778–3783PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Marcuello E, Altes A, del Rio E, Cesar A, Menoyo A, Baiget M (2004) Single nucleotide polymorphism in the 5′ tandem repeat sequences of thymidylate synthase gene predicts for response to fluorouracil-based chemotherapy in advanced colorectal cancer patients. Int J Cancer 112:733–737PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar