Tailored preoperative treatment of locally advanced triple negative (hormone receptor negative and HER2 negative) breast cancer with epirubicin, cisplatin, and infusional fluorouracil followed by weekly paclitaxel
- 489 Downloads
No specific treatment guidelines are available for triple-negative breast cancers, defined by a lack of expression of estrogen (ER), progesterone (PgR), and HER2 receptors.
Patients and methods
We investigated in patients with T2–T3 N0-3 ER, PgR <10% and HER2 negative breast cancers the activity both in terms of pathological (pCR) and objective responses of four courses of cisplatin containing chemotherapy (ECF, epirubicin, cisplatin, and fluorouracil as continuous infusion) followed by three courses of weekly paclitaxel. Adjuvant metronomic chemotherapy including cyclophosphamide and methotrexate for 4–6 months was administered.
Thirty patients are evaluable. Median age was 41 years (28–64 years). Twenty-three of 25 evaluable tumors stained positively for epidermal growth factor receptor. An objective response, either complete and partial, was observed in 26 patients (86, 95% CI 69.3–96.2%). and a pCR was obtained in 12 patients (40, 95% CI 22.7–59.4%). Two patients progressed during paclitaxel. Negative axillary nodes were found in 80% (95% CI 61.4–92.3%) of patients at surgery. Twenty-six patients (86, 95% CI 61.4–92.3%) underwent breast conserving surgery. Grade >2 non-hematological toxicity was observed in three and two patients during ECF and paclitaxel, respectively. The 2-year disease free survival (DFS) was 87.5% (95% CI 74.7–100%). No significant correlation was observed between EGFR staining and either pCR or DFS.
Preoperative cisplatin containing chemotherapy followed by paclitaxel induced an high pCR rate in a population of triple-negative breast cancer. The impact of this schedule on long-term outcome should be investigated in larger series.
KeywordsBreast cancer Preoperative chemotherapy Triple negative tumors Platinum based chemotherapy
- 3.Bear HD, Anderson S, Brown A, Smith R, Mamounas EP, Fisher E et al (2003) The effect on tumor response of adding sequential preoperative docetaxel to preoperative doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide: preliminary results from national surgical adjuvant breast and bowel project protocol B-27. J Clin Oncol 21:4165–4174PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Von Minckwitz G, Raab G, Caputo A, Schutte M, Hilfrich J, Blohmer JU et al (2005) Doxorubicin with cyclophosphamide followed by docetaxel every 21 days compared with doxorubicin and docetaxel every 14 days as preoperative treatment in operable breast cancer: the GEPARDUO study of the German Breast Group. J Clin Oncol 23:2676–2685CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Gianni L, Baselga J, Eiermann W, Guillem Porta V, Semiglazov V, Lluch A et al (2005) Feasibility and tolerability of sequential doxorubicin/paclitaxel followed by cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and fluorouracil and its effects on tumor response as preoperative therapy. Clin Cancer Res 11:8715–8721PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Smith IE, A’Hern RP, Coombes GA, Howell A, Ebbs SR, Hickish TF et al (2004) A novel continuous infusional 5-fluorouracil-based chemotherapy regimen compared with conventional chemotherapy in the neo-adjuvant treatment of early breast cancer: 5 year results of the TOPIC trial. Ann Oncol 15:751–758PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Seidman AD, Berry D, Cirrincione C et al (2004) Phase III study of weekly (W) paclitaxel (P) via 1-hour (h) infusion versus standard (S) 3h infusion every third week in the treatment of metastatic breast cancer (MBC) with trastuzumab (T) for HER2 positive MBC and trandomized T in HER2 normal MBC. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 22:6s (Abstract 512)Google Scholar
- 23.Garber JE, Richardson A, Harris LN et al (2006) Neoadjuvant cisplatin (CDDP) in triple-negative breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat Abstract 3074Google Scholar
- 25.Andre F, Mazouni C, Liedtke C, Kau SW, Frye D, Green M et al (2007) HER2 expression and efficacy pf preoperative paclitaxel/FAC chemotherapy in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. doi: 10.1007/s10549-007-9594-8
- 26.Bear HD, Anderson S, Smith RE, Geyer CE Jr, Mamounas EP, Fisher B et al (2006) Sequential preoperative or postoperative docetaxel added to preoperative doxorubicin plus cyclophosphamide for operable breast cancer: national surgical adjuvant breast and bowel project protocol B-27. J Clin Oncol 24:2019–2027PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Torrisi R, Orlando L, Ghisini R, Veronesi P, Intra M, Rocca A et al (2006) A phase II study of primary dose-dense sequential doxorubicin plus cyclophosphamide and docetaxel in cT4 breast cancer. Anticancer Res 25:2861–2864Google Scholar