Combination second-line chemotherapy with gemcitabine and docetaxel for recurrent non-small-cell lung cancer after platinum-containing chemotherapy: a phase I/II trial
- First Online:
In a randomized trial, docetaxel monotherapy yielded longer survival than the best supportive care in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapy, and combination chemotherapy regimens containing docetaxel have been assessed to enhance the efficacy of second-line chemotherapy. We conducted a phase I/II trial of gemcitabine and docetaxel in patients with recurrent NSCLC after platinum-based chemotherapy and with an ECOG performance status (PS) of 0 or 1.
Patients and methods
Docetaxel administration was fixed at a dosage of 60 mg/m2 on day 8, and gemcitabine was administered on days 1 and 8. The starting dose level of gemcitabine was 800 mg/m2 (level 0), and the subsequent dose level of gemcitabine was 1000 mg/m2 (level +1). Treatment was repeated every 3 weeks.
In the phase I study, 13 patients were enrolled, and in the phase II study, 29 patients were enrolled. Neutropenic fever and omission of treatment on day 8 due to leukopenia (leukocyte count less than 3000/mm3) were dose-limiting toxicities (DLTs). Three of six patients experienced DLTs at level +1, which was the maximum tolerated dose. Gemcitabine 800 mg/m2 on days 1 and 8 plus docetaxel 60 mg/m2 on day 8 (level 0) was recommended for the phase II study. An objective response was observed in 8 (28%) of the 29 patients. The median time to disease progression was 4.2 months (95% CI 0.9–7.7 months). The median survival time was 11.1 months (95% CI 9.9–12.4 months), and the 1-year survival rate was 41%. The most common toxicity, though mild, was hematologic, and consisted of grade 4 neutropenia (18%), grade 3 febrile neutropenia (11%), and grade 3 thrombocytopenia (11%). There were no toxic deaths. Grade 3 non-hematologic toxicities included nausea (4%) and rash (4%).
The combination chemotherapy of gemcitabine and docetaxel is active and well tolerated in patients with recurrent NSCLC after platinum-based chemotherapy and with a good PS.
KeywordsGemcitabine Docetaxel Second-line Non-small-cell lung cancer
- 2.Fossella FV, DeVore R, Kerr RN, Crawford J, Natale RR, Dunphy F, Kalman L, Miller V, Lee JS, Moore M, Gandara D, Karp D, Vokes E, Kris M, Kim Y, Gamza F, Hammershaimb L (2000) Randomized phase III trial of docetaxel versus vinorelbine or ifosfamide in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-containing chemotherapy regimens. The TAX 320 Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Study Group. J Clin Oncol 18:2354PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Georgoulias V, Kouroussis C, Androulakis N, Kakolyris S, Dimopoulos MA, Papadakis E, Bouros D, Apostolopoulou F, Papadimitriou C, Agelidou A, Hatzakis K, Kalbakis K, Kotsakis A, Vardakis N, Vlachonicolis J (1999) Front-line treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer with docetaxel and gemcitabine: a multicenter phase II trial. J Clin Oncol 17:914PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Gridelli C, Perrone F, Gallo C, Rossi A, Barletta E, Barzelloni ML, Creazzola S, Gatani T, Fiore F, Guida C, Scognamiglio F (1999) Single-agent gemcitabine as second-line treatment in patients with advanced non small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): a phase II trial. Anticancer Res 19:4535PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Grilli R, Oxman AD, Julian JA (1993) Chemotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: how much benefit is enough? J Clin Oncol 11:1866Google Scholar
- 7.Hainsworth JD, Burris HA 3rd, Billings FT 3rd, Bradof JE, Baker M, Greco FA (2001) Weekly docetaxel with either gemcitabine or vinorelbine as second-line treatment in patients with advanced nonsmall cell lung carcinoma: phase II trials of the Minnie Pearl Cancer Research Network. Cancer 92:2391CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Kakolyris S, Papadakis E, Tsiafaki X, Kalofonos C, Rapti A, Toubis M, Bania E, Kouroussis C, Chainis K, Androulakis N, Agelaki S, Sarra E, Vardakis N, Georgoulias V (2001) Docetaxel in combination with gemcitabine plus rhG-CSF support as second-line treatment in non-small cell lung cancer. A multicenter phase II study. Lung Cancer 32:179CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Kaplan EL, Meier P (1958) Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Stat Assoc 53:457Google Scholar
- 11.Kelly K, Crowley J, Bunn PA Jr, Presant CA, Grevstad PK, Moinpour CM, Ramsey SD, Wozniak AJ, Weiss GR, Moore DF, Israel VK, Livingston RB, Gandara DR (2001) Randomized phase III trial of paclitaxel plus carboplatin versus vinorelbine plus cisplatin in the treatment of patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a Southwest Oncology Group trial. J Clin Oncol 19:3210PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Kosmas C, Tsavaris N, Vadiaka M, Stavroyianni N, Koutras A, Malamos N, Onyenadum A, Rokana S, Polyzos A, Kalofonos HP (2001) Gemcitabine and docetaxel as second-line chemotherapy for patients with nonsmall cell lung carcinoma who fail prior paclitaxel plus platinum-based regimens. Cancer 92:2902CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Kubota K, Watanabe K, Kunitoh H, Noda K, Ichinose Y, Katakami N, Sugiura T, Kawahara M, Yokoyama A, Nishiwaki Y, Ohashi Y, Niitani H (2002) Final results of a randomized phase III trial of docetaxel and cisplatin versus vindesine and cisplatin in stage IV non-small cell lung cancer. Proc ASCO 21:296aGoogle Scholar
- 21.Sculier JP, Lafitte JJ, Berghmans T, Thiriaux J, Lecomte J, Efremidis A, Ninane V, Paesmans M, Mommen P, Klastersky J (2000) A phase II trial testing gemcitabine as second-line chemotherapy for non small cell lung cancer. The European Lung Cancer Working Party. Lung Cancer 29:67CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Shepherd FA, Dancey J, Ramlau R, Mattson K, Gralla R, O'Rourke M, Levitan N, Gressot L, Vincent M, Burkes R, Coughlin S, Kim Y, Berille J (2000) Prospective randomized trial of docetaxel versus best supportive care in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 18:2095PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Spiridonidis CH, Laufman LR, Carman L, Moore T, Blair S, Jones J, George C, Patel T, Roach R, Rupert R, Zangmeister J, Colborn D, Kuebler JP (2001) Second-line chemotherapy for non-small-cell lung cancer with monthly docetaxel and weekly gemcitabine: a phase II trial. Ann Oncol 12:89CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar