Successful retreatment with 3-week rituximab-bendamustine with high-dose dexamethasone in patients with relapsed/refractory mantle cell lymphoma
- 67 Downloads
Mantle cell lymphoma (MCL) is an aggressive subtype of B cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL) which accounts for approximately 6% of all NHLs . Roughly 5% of patients suffer from the more aggressive blastic variant MCL .
Bendamustine in combination with rituximab (RB) has shown promising results in different phase III trials in elderly patients unfit for high-dose chemotherapy in different kinds of lymphomas, including MCL with response rates of approximately 86–93% [3, 4, 5, 6].
Bendamustine in relapsed/refractory lymphomas including MCL also showed promising results . RB retreatment, however, has never been investigated before. In view of this, we have performed a retrospective single-center analysis to evaluate the clinical efficacy and safety of RB retreatment in patients with MCL.
Compliance with ethical standards
All authors gave their informed consent for this study.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Bernard M, Gressin R, Lefrere F, Drenou B, Branger B, Caulet-Maugendre S, Tass P, Brousse N, Valensi F, Milpied N, Voilat L, Sadoun A, Ghandour C, Hunault M, Leloup R, Mannone L, Hermine O, Lamy T (2001) Blastic variant of mantle cell lymphoma: a rare but highly aggressive subtype. Leukemia 15:1785–1791CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Rummel MJ, Niederle N, Maschmeyer G, Banat GA, von Grunhagen U, Losem C, Kofahl-Krause D, Heil G, Welslau M, Balser C, Kaiser U, Weidmann E, Durk H, Ballo H, Stauch M, Roller F, Barth J, Hoelzer D, Hinke A, Brugger W (2013) Study group indolent L: Bendamustine plus rituximab versus chop plus rituximab as first-line treatment for patients with indolent and mantle-cell lymphomas: an open-label, multicentre, randomised, phase 3 non-inferiority trial. Lancet 381:1203–1210CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Flinn IW, van der Jagt R, Kahl BS, Wood P, Hawkins TE, Macdonald D, Hertzberg M, Kwan YL, Simpson D, Craig M, Kolibaba K, Issa S, Clementi R, Hallman DM, Munteanu M, Chen L, Burke JM (2014) Randomized trial of bendamustine-rituximab or r-chop/r-cvp in first-line treatment of indolent nhl or mcl: the bright study. Blood 123:2944–2952CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Ogura M, Ishizawa K, Maruyama D, Uike N, Ando K, Izutsu K, Terui Y, Imaizumi Y, Tsukasaki K, Suzuki K, Izumi T, Usuki K, Kinoshita T, Taniwaki M, Uoshima N, Suzumiya J, Kurosawa M, Nagai H, Uchida T, Fukuhara N, Choi I, Ohmachi K, Yamamoto G, Tobinai K (2017) Japanese Bendamustine Lymphoma Study G: bendamustine plus rituximab for previously untreated patients with indolent b-cell non-hodgkin lymphoma or mantle cell lymphoma: a multicenter phase ii clinical trial in Japan. Int J Hematol 105:470–477CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Rummel M, Kaiser U, Balser C, Stauch M, Brugger W, Welslau M, Niederle N, Losem C, Boeck HP, Weidmann E, von Gruenhagen U, Mueller L, Sandherr M, Hahn L, Vereshchagina J, Kauff F, Blau W, Hinke A, Barth J (2016) Study Group Indolent L: Bendamustine plus rituximab versus fludarabine plus rituximab for patients with relapsed indolent and mantle-cell lymphomas: a multicentre, randomised, open-label, non-inferiority phase 3 trial. The Lancet Oncology 17:57–66CrossRefGoogle Scholar