Geriatric screening tools predict survival outcomes in older patients with diffuse large B cell lymphoma
- 66 Downloads
The proportion of elderly patients with diffuse large B cell lymphoma (DLBCL) appears to be increasing, with outcomes varying widely because of the patients’ heterogeneity. Geriatric assessment is used to predict prognosis in elderly patients with DLBCL, but the utility of two simple screening tools for patients with DLBCL, the Flemish version of the Triage Risk Screening Tool (fTRST) and G8, has remained to be elucidated. We retrospectively assessed patients using fTRST and G8, and evaluated the impacts of the scores on survival outcomes in older patients with newly diagnosed DLBCL. A total of 59 patients aged 65 years or older and who were diagnosed with DLBCL were included. The median age was 77 years (range, 65–91 years), and the initial treatments were R-CHOP (63%) and R-THPCOP (31%). The estimated 2-year overall survival (OS) rate was significantly lower in patients with abnormal fTRST scores (≥ 2; N = 17) than in those with normal fTRST scores (< 2; N = 42): (50.5% (95% CI, 22.7–73.0%) vs. 82.2% (95% CI, 63.8–91.8%), P = 0.007). The estimated 2-year OS rate was significantly lower also in patients with abnormal G8 scores (≤ 14; N = 38) than in those with normal G8 scores (> 14; N = 21): (66.1% (95% CI, 46.7–79.5%) vs. 86.8% (95% CI, 55.7–96.7%), P = 0.03, respectively). These associations were independently significant after adjusting for other significant factors by multivariate analysis. These results suggest that the easy-to-use geriatric screening tools, fTRST and G8, have strong prognostic value for OS in older patients with DLBCL.
KeywordsDiffuse large B cell lymphoma Geriatric screening tools Older patients Prognosis
The authors would like to thank all paramedic staff members at Tachikawa Hospital for their excellent care of the patients and their families.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards. For this type of study, formal consent is not required.
The study was approved by the ethics boards of the institution.
- 4.Peyrade F, Jardin F, Thieblemont C, Thyss A, Emile JF, Castaigne S, Coiffier B, Haioun C, Bologna S, Fitoussi O, Lepeu G, Fruchart C, Bordessoule D, Blanc M, Delarue R, Janvier M, Salles B, André M, Fournier M, Gaulard P, Tilly H (2011) Attenuated immunochemotherapy regimen (R-miniCHOP) in elderly patients older than 80 years with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: a multicentre, single-arm, phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncol 12:460–468CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Wildiers H, Heeren P, Puts M, Topinkova E, Janssen-Heijnen MLG, Extermann M, Falandry C, Artz A, Brain E, Colloca G, Flamaing J, Karnakis T, Kenis C, Audisio RA, Mohile S, Repetto L, van Leeuwen B, Milisen K, Hurria A (2014) International Society of Geriatric Oncology consensus on geriatric assessment in older patients with cancer. J Clin Oncol 32:2595–2603CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Hurria A, Togawa K, Mohile SG, Owusu C, Klepin HD, Gross CP, Lichtman SM, Gajra A, Bhatia S, Katheria V, Klapper S, Hansen K, Ramani R, Lachs M, Wong FL, Tew WP (2011) Predicting chemotherapy toxicity in older adults with cancer: a prospective multicenter study. J Clin Oncol 29:3457–3465CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Merli F, Luminari S, Rossi G, Mammi C, Marcheselli L, Ferrari A, Spina M, Tucci A, Stelitano C, Capodanno I, Fragasso A, Baldini L, Bottelli C, Montechiarello E, Fogazzi S, Lamorgese C, Cavalli L, Federico M, for the Fondazione Italiana Linfomi (2014) Outcome of frail elderly patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma prospectively identified by comprehensive geriatric assessment: results from a study of the Fondazione Italiana Linfomi. Leuk Lymphoma 55:38–43CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Spina M, Balzarotti M, Uziel L, Ferreri AJM, Fratino L, Magagnoli M, Talamini R, Giacalone A, Ravaioli E, Chimienti E, Berretta M, Lleshi A, Santoro A, Tirelli U (2012) Modulated chemotherapy according to modified comprehensive geriatric assessment in 100 consecutive elderly patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Oncologist 17:838–846CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Soubeyran P, Bellera C, Goyard J, Heitz D, Curé H, Rousselot H, Albrand G, Servent V, Jean OS, van Praagh I, Kurtz JE, Périn S, Verhaeghe JL, Terret C, Desauw C, Girre V, Mertens C, Mathoulin-Pélissier S, Rainfray M (2014) Screening for vulnerability in older cancer patients: the ONCODAGE prospective multicenter cohort study. PLoS One 9:e115060CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Mohile SG, Bylow K, Dale W, Dignam J, Martin K, Petrylak DP, Stadler WM, Rodin M (2007) A pilot study of the vulnerable elders survey-13 compared with the comprehensive geriatric assessment for identifying disability in older patients with prostate cancer who receive androgen ablation. Cancer 109:802–810CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Hara T, Yoshikawa T, Goto H, Sawada M, Yamada T, Fukuno K, Kasahara S, Shibata Y, Matsumoto T, Mabuchi R, Nakamura N, Nakamura H, Ninomiya S, Kitagawa J, Kanemura N, Nannya Y, Katsumura N, Takahashi T, Kito Y, Takami T, Miyazaki T, Takeuchi T, Shimizu M, Tsurumi H (2018) R-THP-COP versus R-CHOP in patients younger than 70 years with untreated diffuse large B cell lymphoma: a randomized, open-label, noninferiority phase 3 trial. Hematol Oncol 36:638–644. https://doi.org/10.1002/hon.2524 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Tsurumi H, Hara T, Goto N, Kanemura N, Kasahara S, Sawada M, Yasuda I, Yamada T, Shimizu M, Takami T, Moriwaki H (2007) A phase II study of a THP-COP regimen for the treatment of elderly patients aged 70 years or older with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Hematol Oncol 25:107–114CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Gordon M (2014) Manual of nursing diagnosis. Jones & Bartlett Learning, MassachusettsGoogle Scholar
- 27.Chihara D, Westin JR, Oki Y, Ahmed MA, Do B, Fayad LE, Hagemeister FB, Romaguera JE, Fanale MA, Lee HJ, Turturro F, Samaniego F, Neelapu SS, Rodriguez MA, Fowler NH, Wang M, Davis RE, Nastoupil LJ (2016) Management strategies and outcomes for very elderly patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Cancer 122:3145–3151CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Eyre TA, Salisbury R, Eyre DW, Watson C, Collins GP, Hatton CS (2016) Results of a large retrospective analysis of the effect of intended dose intensity of R-CHOP on outcome in a cohort of consecutive, unselected elderly patients with de novo diffuse large B cell lymphoma. Br J Haematol 173:487–491CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Merli F, Luminari S, Rossi G et al (2012) Cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, prednisone and rituximab versus epirubicin, cyclophosphamide, vinblastine, prednisone and rituximab for the initial treatment of elderly “fit” patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: results from the ANZINTER3 trial of the Intergruppo Italiano Linfomi. Leuk Lymphoma 53:581–588CrossRefGoogle Scholar