Autopsy findings in patients with acute myeloid leukemia and non-Hodgkin lymphoma in the modern era: a focus on lung pathology and acute respiratory failure
We aimed to report autopsy findings in patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) and non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) in the modern era, and also to focus on lung pathology in the subgroup of patients with acute respiratory failure (ARF) of unknown etiology, which is associated with especially high mortality rates. Charts and autopsy reports of 107 patients (59 AML and 48 NHL) autopsied between 2003 and 2018 were reviewed. More than 50% of patients had missed major diagnoses found at autopsy with 95% of lungs displaying abnormal findings. Malignant infiltration in at least one organ was observed in about 70% of patients with either no complete remission or relapse at the time of death (n = 92) versus 20% in patients without signs of active malignancy (n = 15) (p = 0.001). In patients with ARF of unknown etiology (n = 59), the proportion of malignant lung infiltration was 27% and equilibrated with bacterial pneumonias (29%), fungal pneumonias represented 8%, and isolated alveolar damage or pulmonary edema were the only findings in 32% of patients. Overall, 85% of patients with ARF of unknown etiology had either relapsed or not achieved remission at time of death and 80% of patients with malignant lung infiltration had ARF of unknown etiology. Ninety percent of malignant infiltration and fungal infections were observed in patients with no complete remission or relapse. Autopsy remains valuable in AML and NHL patients; besides infections, malignant infiltration is a significant contributor to ARF of unknown etiology and is rarely diagnosed ante mortem.
KeywordsAcute myeloid leukemia Non-Hodgkin lymphoma Autopsy Acute respiratory failure Lung pathology
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki Declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards. For this type of study, formal consent is not required.
- 1.Azoulay E, Mokart D, Pene F, Lambert J, Kouatchet A, Mayaux J, Vincent F, Nyunga M, Bruneel F, Laisne LM, Rabbat A, Lebert C, Perez P, Chaize M, Renault A, Meert AP, Benoit D, Hamidfar R, Jourdain M, Darmon M, Schlemmer B, Chevret S, Lemiale V (2013) Outcomes of critically ill patients with hematologic malignancies: prospective multicenter data from France and Belgium—a groupe de recherche respiratoire en reanimation onco-hematologique study. J Clin Oncol 31(22):2810–2818. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2012.47.2365 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 2.Contejean A, Lemiale V, Resche-Rigon M, Mokart D, Pene F, Kouatchet A, Mayaux J, Vincent F, Nyunga M, Bruneel F, Rabbat A, Perez P, Meert AP, Benoit D, Hamidfar R, Darmon M, Jourdain M, Renault A, Schlemmer B, Azoulay E (2016) Increased mortality in hematological malignancy patients with acute respiratory failure from undetermined etiology: a Groupe de Recherche en Reanimation Respiratoire en Onco-Hematologique (Grrr-OH) study. Ann Intensive Care 6(1):102. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13613-016-0202-0 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 3.Azoulay E, Pickkers P, Soares M, Perner A, Rello J, Bauer PR, van de Louw A, Hemelaar P, Lemiale V, Taccone FS, Martin Loeches I, Meyhoff TS, Salluh J, Schellongowski P, Rusinova K, Terzi N, Mehta S, Antonelli M, Kouatchet A, Barratt-Due A, Valkonen M, Landburg PP, Bruneel F, Bukan RB, Pene F, Metaxa V, Moreau AS, Souppart V, Burghi G, Girault C, Silva UVA, Montini L, Barbier F, Nielsen LB, Gaborit B, Mokart D, Chevret S, Efraim i, the nine Isg (2017) Acute hypoxemic respiratory failure in immunocompromised patients: the Efraim multinational prospective cohort study. Intensive Care Med 43(12):1808–1819. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-017-4947-1 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 4.Azoulay E, Mokart D, Lambert J, Lemiale V, Rabbat A, Kouatchet A, Vincent F, Gruson D, Bruneel F, Epinette-Branche G, Lafabrie A, Hamidfar-Roy R, Cracco C, Renard B, Tonnelier JM, Blot F, Chevret S, Schlemmer B (2010) Diagnostic strategy for hematology and oncology patients with acute respiratory failure: randomized controlled trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182(8):1038–1046. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201001-0018OC CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 14.Azoulay E, Lemiale V, Mokart D, Pene F, Kouatchet A, Perez P, Vincent F, Mayaux J, Benoit D, Bruneel F, Meert AP, Nyunga M, Rabbat A, Darmon M (2014) Acute respiratory distress syndrome in patients with malignancies. Intensive Care Med 40(8):1106–1114. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-014-3354-0 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Chamilos G, Luna M, Lewis RE, Bodey GP, Chemaly R, Tarrand JJ, Safdar A, Raad II, Kontoyiannis DP (2006) Invasive fungal infections in patients with hematologic malignancies in a tertiary care cancer center: an autopsy study over a 15-year period (1989-2003). Haematologica 91(7):986–989PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 16.Lass-Florl C, Resch G, Nachbaur D, Mayr A, Gastl G, Auberger J, Bialek R, Freund MC (2007) The value of computed tomography-guided percutaneous lung biopsy for diagnosis of invasive fungal infection in immunocompromised patients. Clin Infect Dis 45(7):e101–e104. https://doi.org/10.1086/521245 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, Griese M, Madtes DK, Belperio JA, Haddad IY, Folz RJ, Cooke KR, American Thoracic Society Committee on Idiopathic Pneumonia S (2011) An official American Thoracic Society research statement: noninfectious lung injury after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: idiopathic pneumonia syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183(9):1262–1279. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.2007-413ST CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 20.Gupta S, Sultenfuss M, Romaguera JE, Ensor J, Krishnamurthy S, Wallace MJ, Ahrar K, Madoff DC, Murthy R, Hicks ME (2010) CT-guided percutaneous lung biopsies in patients with haematologic malignancies and undiagnosed pulmonary lesions. Hematol Oncol 28(2):75–81. https://doi.org/10.1002/hon.923 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 23.Heussel CP, Kauczor HU, Heussel GE, Fischer B, Begrich M, Mildenberger P, Thelen M (1999) Pneumonia in febrile neutropenic patients and in bone marrow and blood stem-cell transplant recipients: use of high-resolution computed tomography. J Clin Oncol 17(3):796–805. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.1918.104.22.1686 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar