Safety of pembrolizumab after allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplantation
- 528 Downloads
Targeting of the PD1-PDL1 axis is a novel therapeutic strategy for malignancies, with initial successes observed in melanoma, renal cell carcinoma, lung cancer and Hodgkin lymphoma . Emerging evidence suggests that the strategy might be effective for other malignancies . Recipients of allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT), however, are excluded from clinical trials, owing to the theoretical risk that PD1 blockade may induce or exacerbate graft-versus-host disease (GVHD).
A 63-year-old man underwent an allogeneic HSCT from an HLA-identical sister for chronic myelogenous leukaemia (CML) in 1995. Engraftment was smooth, and there was no period of spontaneous cytopenias. In 1997, a squamous cell carcinoma developed in his left eyelid, which was resected and irradiated. In 2005, a squamous cell carcinoma developed in his tongue, which was treated with partial left glossectomy. In 2008, a squamous cell carcinoma developed in his right pyriform fossa,...
KeywordsSquamous Cell Carcinoma Hodgkin Lymphoma Chronic Myelogenous Leukaemia Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Allogeneic Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author declares that he has no conflict of interest.
- 2.Patnaik A, Kang SP, Rasco D, Papadopoulos KP, Elassaiss-Schaap J, Beeram M, Drengler R, Chen C, Smith L, Espino G, Gergich K, Delgado L, Daud A, Lindia JA, Li XN, Pierce RH, Yearley JH, Wu D, Laterza O, Lehnert M, Iannone R, Tolcher AW (2015) Phase I study of pembrolizumab (MK-3475; anti-PD-1 monoclonal antibody) in patients with advanced solid tumors. Clin Cancer Res 21(19):4286–93CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Le DT, Uram JN, Wang H, Bartlett BR, Kemberling H, Eyring AD, Skora AD, Luber BS, Azad NS, Laheru D, Biedrzycki B, Donehower RC, Zaheer A, Fisher GA, Crocenzi TS, Lee JJ, Duffy SM, Goldberg RM, de la Chapelle A, Koshiji M, Bhaijee F, Huebner T, Hruban RH, Wood LD, Cuka N, Pardoll DM, Papadopoulos N, Kinzler KW, Zhou S, Cornish TC, Taube JM, Anders RA, Eshleman JR, Vogelstein B, Diaz LA Jr (2015) PD-1 blockade in tumors with mismatch-repair deficiency. N Engl J Med 372(26):2509–20CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Garon EB, Rizvi NA, Hui R, Leighl N, Balmanoukian AS, Eder JP, Patnaik A, Aggarwal C, Gubens M, Horn L, Carcereny E, Ahn MJ, Felip E, Lee JS, Hellmann MD, Hamid O, Goldman JW, Soria JC, Dolled-Filhart M, Rutledge RZ, Zhang J, Lunceford JK, Rangwala R, Lubiniecki GM, Roach C, Emancipator K, Gandhi L, KEYNOTE-001 Investigators (2015) Pembrolizumab for the treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 372(21):2018–28CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Angenendt L, Schliemann C, Lutz M, Rebber E, Schulze AB, Weckesser M, Stegger L, Schäfers M, Groth C, Kessler T, Lenz G, Stelljes M, Berdel WE (2015) Nivolumab in a patient with refractory Hodgkin’s lymphoma after allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Bone Marrow TransplantGoogle Scholar
- 8.Yared JA, Hardy N, Singh Z, Hajj S, Badros AZ, Kocoglu M, Yanovich S, Sausville EA, Ujjani C, Ruehle K, Goecke C, Landau M, Rapoport AP (2016) Major clinical response to nivolumab in relapsed/refractory Hodgkin lymphoma after allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Bone Marrow TransplantGoogle Scholar
- 9.Villasboas JC, Ansell SM, Witzig TE (2016). Targeting the PD-1 pathway in patients with relapsed classic Hodgkin lymphoma following allogeneic stem cell transplant is safe and effective. OncotargetGoogle Scholar