Suppression of granzyme B activity and caspase-3 activation in leukaemia cells constitutively expressing the protease inhibitor 9
- 432 Downloads
Immune surveillance against malignant cells is mediated by cytotoxic T-lymphocytes and NK-cells (CTL/NK) that induce apoptosis through the granzyme-B-dependent pathway. The serine protease inhibitor serpinB9/protease inhibitor-9 (PI-9) is a known inhibitor of granzyme B. Ectopic expression of PI-9 in tumour cells has been reported. However, the impact of PI-9 on granzyme-B-induced apoptosis in tumour cells remains unclear. The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of constitutive PI-9 expression in leukaemia cell lines on the activity of granzyme B and apoptosis induction. PI-9 negative (lymphoblastic Jurkat cells; myeloblastic U937 cells) and PI-9-expressing cell lines (myeloblastic K562 cells, EBV-transformed LCL-1 and LCL-2 B-cells, lymphoblastic Daudi cells, AML-R cells f leukaemia and the U937 subclone U937PI-9+). For accurate granzyme B activity determination a quantitative substrate (Ac-IEPD-pNA) cleavage assay was established and caspase-3 activation measured for apoptosis assessment. Cells were treated with a cytotoxic granule isolate that has previously been shown to induce apoptosis through granzyme B signalling. We found a robust correlation between constitutive PI-9 expression levels and the suppression of granzyme B activity. Further, inhibition of granzyme B translated into reduced caspase-3 activation. We conclude, suppression of granzyme B initiated apoptosis in PI-9-expressing cells could contribute to immune evasion and the measurement of granzyme B activity with our assay might be a useful predictive marker in immune-therapeutic approaches against cancer.
KeywordsLeukaemia Granzyme B Apoptosis Serpin
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.Grüllich C, McGoldrick S, Zeiser R, Finke J (2005) The death receptor pathway is not involved in alloreactive T-cell induced mitochondrial membrane permeability. Leuk Lymphoma 46:1207–1216Google Scholar
- 12.Grüllich C, Friske V, Finke J (2008) Ex vivo detection of primary leukemia cells resistant to granule cytotoxin-induced cell death: a rapid isolation method to study granzyme-B-mediated cell death. Ann Hematol 87:701–708Google Scholar
- 21.Grüllich C, Richter M, Exner S, Finke J (2003) Fas ligand is not constitutively expressed in low-grade B-cell lymphoma and B-lymphoblastoid cells. Eur J Haematol 71:184–188Google Scholar
- 24.Grüllich C, Bertz H, Spyridonidis A, Muller CI, Finke J (2008) A fludarabine, thiotepa reduced toxicity conditioning regimen designed specifically for allogeneic second haematopoietic cell transplantation after failure of previous autologous or allogeneic transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant 41:845–850Google Scholar
- 29.Metkar SS, Wang B, Aguilar-Santelises M, Raja SM, Uhlin-Hansen L, Podack E, Trapani JA, Froelich CJ (2002) Cytotoxic cell granule-mediated apoptosis: perforin delivers granzyme B-serglycin complexes into target cells without plasma membrane pore formation. Immunity 16(3):417–428PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar