Diagnosis and management of chronic ITP: comments from an ICIS expert group
Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) is a common disorder in children and adults. In a patient with newly diagnosed ITP, the treatment strategy is relatively well defined. Second-line treatments are more controversial, and the management of chronic ITP is even more so. During the 3rd ICIS Expert Meeting on Consensus and Development of Strategies in ITP, held in Basel on September 3–5, 2009, a group of experts were tasked with reaching a consensus on some frequently asked questions relating to diagnosis and management of children and adults with chronic ITP. The content of this article is designed to provide a practical support to trained haematologists in their care of patients with chronic ITP.
KeywordsImmune thrombocytopenia ITP
We would like to thank all participants in the chronic ITP expert group who participated in the discussion at ICIS, namely: Bessho, Fumio—Moroyama, Japan; Diesch, Tamara—Basel, Switzerland; Erduran, Erol—Trabzon, Turkey; Fouda, Ashraf—Al-Mansoura, Egypt; Hainmann, Ina—Freiburg, Germany; Kaplinsky, Chaim—Tel Hashomer, Israel; Konja, Josip—Zagreb, Croatia; Kreuzbauer, Georg—Zug, Switzerland; Kroiss, Sabine—Zürich, Switzerland; Strauss, Gabriele—Berlin, Germany; Tamminga, Rienk—Groningen, Germany; and Veronese, Luisa—London, UK.
- 1.Rodeghiero F, Stasi R, Gernsheimer T, Michel M, Provan D, Arnold DM, Bussel JB, Cines DB, Chong BH, Cooper N, Godeau B, Lechner K, Mazzucconi MG, McMillan R, Sanz MA, Imbach P, Blanchette V, Kühne T, Ruggeri M, George JN (2009) Standardization of terminology, definitions and outcome criteria in immune thrombocytopenic purpura of adults and children: report from an international working group. Blood 113(11):2386–2393CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Jamali F, Lemery S, Ayalew K, Robottom S, Robie-Suh K, Rieves D, Pazdur R (2009) Romiplostim for the treatment of chronic immune (idiopathic) thrombocytopenic purpura. Oncology (Williston Park) 23(8):704–709Google Scholar
- 8.Fabris F, Scandellari R, Ruzzon E, Randi ML, Luzzatto G, Girolami A (2004) Platelet-associated autoantibodies as detected by a solid-phase modified antigen capture ELISA test (MACE) are a useful prognostic factor in idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 103:4562–4564CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Liebman HA (2008) Viral-associated immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2008(1):212–218Google Scholar
- 13.Carson KR, Evens AM, Richey EA, Habermann TM, Focosi D, Seymour JF, Laubach J, Bawn SD, Gordon LI, Winter JN, Furman RR, Vose JM, Zelenetz AD, Mamtani R, Raisch DW, Dorshimer GW, Rosen ST, Muro K, Gottardi-Littell NR, Talley RL, Sartor O, Green D, Major EO, Bennett CL (2009) Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy after rituximab therapy in HIV-negative patients: a report of 57 cases from the Research on Adverse Drug Events and Reports project. Blood 113(20):4834–4840CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Bennett CM, Rogers ZR, Kinnamon DD, Bussel JB, Mahoney DH, Abshire TC, Sawaf H, Moore TB, Loh ML, Glader BE, McCarthy MC, Mueller BU, Olson TA, Lorenzana AN, Mentzer WC, Buchanan GR, Feldman HA, Neufeld EJ (2006) Prospective phase 1/2 study of rituximab in childhood and adolescent chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 107(7):2639–2642CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Carson KR, Evens AM, Richey EA, Habermann TM, Focosi D, Seymour JF et al (2009) Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy following rituximab therapy in HIV negative patients: a report of 57 cases from the Research on Adverse Drug Event and Reports (RADAR) project. Blood 113(20):4834–4840CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Bussel JB, Provan D, Shamsi T, Cheng G, Psaila B, Kovaleva L, Salama A, Jenkins JM, Roychowdhury D, Mayer B, Stone N, Arning M (2009) Effect of eltrombopag on platelet counts and bleeding during treatment of chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 373(9664):641–648CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Kuter DJ, Bussel JB, Lyons RM, Pullarkat V, Gernsheimer TB, Senecal FM, Aledort LM, George JN, Kessler CM, Sanz MA, Liebman HA, Slovick FT, de Wolf JT, Bourgeois E, Guthrie TH Jr, Newland A, Wasser JS, Hamburg SI, Grande C, Lefrère F, Lichtin AE, Tarantino MD, Terebelo HR, Viallard JF, Cuevas FJ, Go RS, Henry DH, Redner RL, Rice L, Schipperus MR, Guo DM, Nichol JL (2008) Efficacy of romiplostim in patients with chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura: a double-blind randomised controlled trial. Lancet 371(9610):395–403CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 30.Bruhn HD, Schambeck CM, Hach-Wunderle V (2007) Hämostaseologie für die Praxis. Schattauer GmbH, StuttgartGoogle Scholar