Over-representation of bcr3 subtype of PML/RARα fusion gene in APL in Indian patients
- 75 Downloads
Thirty six patients with acute promyelocytic leukemia were studied by reverse transcriptase–polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and real-time PCR. There was concordance between the results achieved by both the methods except in one case, which was negative by RT-PCR but positive by real-time PCR. The prevalence of bcr3 (short isoform) was found to be significantly higher than that of bcr1 (long isoform ) (64 vs. 36%, P=0.03). No correlation was found between age, sex, and white blood cell (WBC) count at diagnosis. Molecular remission was achieved in 66.6% of patients with bcr3 isoform. Median WBC count at presentation was found to be higher than that in the West.
KeywordsAcute promyelocytic leukemia PML/RARα isoform Hematological remission Molecular remission Reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) Real-time PCR
We are grateful to Professional Biotech Pvt. Ltd. for assistance with real-time PCR studies. We are also thankful to Ms. Noor Sabri, Nitin, and Ms. Anshu Khattar for technical assistance.
- 1.Gallagher RE, Willman CL, Slack JL, Andersen JW, Li YP, Viswanathan D, Bloomfield CD, Appelbaum FR, Schiffer CA, Tallman MS, Wiernik PH (1997) Association of PML/RARα fusion mRNA type with pretreatment hematological characteristics but not treatment outcome in acute promyelocytic leukaemia: an intergroup molecular study. Blood 90:1656–1663PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Gonzalez M, Barragan E, Bolufer P, Chillon C, Colomer D, Borstien R, Calasanz MJ, Gomez-Casares MT, Villegas A, Margaun I, Roman J, Martin C, Rayon C, Deben G, Tormo M, Diaz-Mediavilla J, Esteve J, Gonzales-San Miguel J, Rivas C, Perez-Equiza K, Garcia-Sanz R, Capote FJ, Ribera JM, Arias J, Laon A, Snaz MA (2001) Pretreatment characteristic and clinical outcome of acute promyelocytic leukaemia patients according to the PML-RARA isoforms; a study of the PETHEMA group. Br J Haematol 114:99–103CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Huang W, Sun GL, Li XS, Cao Q, Lu Y, Jang GS, Zhang FQ, Chai JR, Wang ZY, Waxman S (1993) Acute promeylocytic leukaemia: clinical relevance of two major PML/RAR alpha isoform and detection of minimal residual disease by retrotranscriptase/polymerase chain reaction to predict relapse. Blood 82:1264–1269PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Gupta V, Yi Q, Brandwein J, Chun K, Lipton JH, Messner H, Schuh AC, Wells RA, Minden MD, Kamel-Reid S (2004) Clinico-biological feature and prognostic significance of PML/RARα isoform in adult patients with acute promeylocytic leukemia treated with all trans retinoic acid (ATRA) and chemotherapy. Leuk Lymphoma 45:469–480CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Grimwade D, Howe K, Langabeer S, Davies L, Oliver F, Walker H, Swirsky D, Wheately K, Goldstone A, Burnett A, Solomon E (1996) Establishing the presence of the t(15:17) in suspected acute promyelocytic leukaemia: cytogenetic, molecular and PML immunofluorescence assessment of patients entered into the M.R.C. ATRA trial. Br J Haematol 94:557–573PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Fenaux P, Chastang C, Chevert S, Sanz M, Dombert H, Archimbaud E, Fey M, Rayon C, Huguet F, Sotto JJ, Gardin C, Makhoul PC, Travade P, Solary E, Fegueux N, Bordessoule D, Miguel JS, Link H, Desablens B, Stamatoullas A, Deconinck E, Maloisel F, Castaigne S, Preudhomme C, Degos L (1999) A randomized comparison of all tran retinoic acid (ATRA) followed by chemotherapy and ATRA plus chemotherapy and the role of maintenance therapy in newly diagnosed acute promyelocytic leukaemia: the European APL group. Blood 94(4):1192–1200PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Sanz MA, Lo Coco F, Martin G, Avvisati G, Rayon C, Barbui T, Díaz-Mediavilla J, Fioritoni G, González JD, Liso V, Jordi Esteve, Ferrara F, Bolufer P, Bernasconi C, Gonzalez M, Rodeghiero F, Colomer D, Petti MC, Ribera JM, Mandelli F (2000) Definition of relapse risk and role of nonanthracyclin drugs for consolidation in patients with acute promyelocytic leukemia: a joint study of the PETHEMA and GIMEMA cooperative groups. Blood 96:1247–1253PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Dong S, Geng JP, Tong JH, Chai JR, Sun GL, Chen SR, Wang ZY, Larsen CJ, Berger R, Chen SJ, Chen Z (1993) Breakpoint cluster of PML gene in acute promyelocytic leukaemia: primary structure of he reciprocal products of the PML-RARα gene in a patient with t(15:17). Genes Chromosomes Cancer 8:133–139CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Guglielmi C, Martelli MP, Diverio D, Fenu S, Vegna ML, Cantu-Rajnoldi A, Biondi A, Cocito MG, Vecchio LD, Tabilio A, Avvisati G, Basso G, LoCoco F (1998) Immunophenotyping of adult and childhood acute promyelocytic leukaemia: correlation with morphology, type of PML gene breakpoint and clinical outcome: a cooperative Italian study on 196 cases. Br J Haematol 102:1035–1041CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar