Sealing Devices in Chimney Aortic Repair (CH EVAS) Versus Chimney Aortic Repair with Conventional Devices (CH EVAR): A Systematic Review
- 39 Downloads
The aim of this study was to review the literature about the occurrence of postoperative type I endoleak (EL) and chimney graft thrombosis (CGT) after the use of sealing devices in chimney endovascular aortic repair (Ch EVAS), compared to chimney EVAR using conventional devices (Ch EVAR).
A systematic review of the literature on PubMed and MEDLINE with the terms “Chimney” and “Parallel grafts” was performed. The review was set up following the PRISMA guidelines. Case series about the use of the chimney/snorkel technique during endovascular repair of juxtarenal/pararenal aneurysms (AAA) were considered. Only papers with full text available in English and reporting complete data with at least 1 month of follow-up about at least 5 cases were included in the analysis.
In total, 90 papers were assessed for eligibility. According to the inclusion criteria, only 25 papers could be analyzed (20 in the Ch EVAR group and 5 in the Ch EVAS group). A type I EL occurred in 9.3% after Ch EVAR (95% CI 7.1–12.2%) and in 8.3% after Ch EVAS (95% CI 3.5–18.5%), being not significantly different. CGT occurred in 10.7% of cases after Ch EVAR (95% CI 8.8–13%) and in 8.8% of cases after Ch EVAS (95% CI 3.3–21.3%), being also not significantly different.
The reported rate of type I EL and CGT occurring after Ch EVAR tended to be slightly higher than those reported after Ch EVAS, even if the difference was not statistically significant.
KeywordsChimney graft/technique EVAR EVAS Abdominal aortic aneurysm Aneurysm sealing
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Donas KP, Torsello GB, Piccoli G, Pitoulias GA, Torsello GF, Bisdas T, et al. The PROTAGORAS study to evaluate the performance of the Endurant stent graft for patients with pararenal pathologic processes treated by the chimney/snorkel endovascular technique. J Vasc Surg. 2016;63(1):1–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Boersen JT, Donselaar EJ, Groot Jebbink E, Starreveld R, Overeem SP, Slump CH, de Vries JPM, Reijnen MMPJ. Benchtop quantification of gutter formation and compression of chimney stent grafts in relation to renal flow in chimney endovascular aneurysm repair and endovascular aneurysm sealing configurations. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:1565–73.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzlaff J, Mulrow C, Gotzsche P, Ioannidis JP, Clarke M, Devereaux PJ, Kleijnen J, Moher D. The PRISMA Statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analysis of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration. Ann Intern Med. 2009;151(4):W11–30.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.De Bruin JL, Brownrigg JR, Patterson BO, Karthikesalingam A, Holt PJ, Hinchliffe RJ, et al. The endovascular sealing device in combination with parallel grafts for treatment of juxta/suprarenal abdominal aortic aneurysms: short-term results of a novel alternative. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2016;52(4):458–65.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Dinkelman MK, Overeem SP, Bockler D, De Vries JP, Heyligers JM. Chimney technique in combination with a sac-anchoring endograft for juxtarenal aortic aneurysms: technical aspects and early results. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2016;57(5):730–6.Google Scholar
- 26.Pecoraro F, Pfammatter T, Mayer D, Frauenfelder T, Papadimitriou D, Hechelhammer L et al (2011) Multiple periscope and chimney grafts to treat ruptured thoracoabdominal and pararenal aortic aneurysms. J Endovasc Ther 18(5):642–649. Erratum in: J Endovasc Ther 18(6):A-5 (2011)Google Scholar
- 32.Filippi F, Ficarelli R, Tirotti C, Stella N, Taurino M. Emergent fully endovascular treatment of a free ruptured thoracoabdominal aneurysm. Ann Vasc Surg. 2015;29(842):e9–13.Google Scholar
- 36.Fairman AS, Wang GJ, Jackson BM, Foley PJ, Damrauer SM, Kalapatapu V, Golden MA, Fairman RM. Characterization and outcomes of reinterventions in Food and Drug Administration-approved versus trial endovascular aneurysm repair devices. J Vasc Surg. 2017;67(4):1082–90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2017.08.058.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar