Angiography in the Isolated Perfused Kidney: Radiological Evaluation of Vascular Protection in Tissue Ablation by Nonthermal Irreversible Electroporation
The nonthermal irreversible electroporation (NTIRE) is a novel nonthermal tissue ablation technique by local application of high-voltage current within microseconds leading to a delayed apoptosis. The purpose of this experimental study was the first angiographic evaluation of the acute damage of renal vascular structure in NTIRE.
Results of conventional dynamic digital substraction angiography (DSA) and visualization of the terminal vascular bed of renal parenchyma by high-resolution X-ray in mammography technique were evaluated before, during, and after NTIRE of three isolated perfused porcine ex vivo kidneys.
In the dedicated investigation, no acute vascular destruction of the renal parenchyma and no dysfunction of the kidney perfusion model were observed during or after NTIRE. Conspicuous were concentric wave-like fluctuations of the DSA contrast agent simultaneous to the NTIRE pulses resulting from NTIRE pulse shock wave.
The NTIRE offers an ablation method with no acute collateral vascular damage in angiographic evaluation.
KeywordsNonthermal irreversible electroporation Angiography Isolated perfused kidney Tissue ablation Vascular protection
- 2.Tracy CR, Kabbani W, Cadeddu JA (2010) Irreversible electroporation (IRE): a novel method for renal tissue ablation. BJU Int. doi:10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.09797.x
- 7.Garcia PA, Neal RE, Rossmeisl JH, Davalos RV (2010) Non-thermal irreversible electroporation for deep intracranial disorders. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:2743–2746Google Scholar
- 8.Charpentier KP, Wolf F, Noble L, Winn B, Resnick M, Dupuy DE (2010) Irreversible electroporation of the pancreas in swine: a pilot study. HPB (Oxford) 12(5):348–351Google Scholar
- 14.Goldberg SN, Charboneau JW, Dodd GD 3rd, Dupuy DE, Gervais DA, Gillams AR, Kane RA, Lee FT Jr, Livraghi T, McGahan JP, Rhim H, Silverman SG, Solbiati L, Vogl TJ, Wood BJ, International Working Group on Image-Guided Tumor Ablation (2003) Image-guided tumor ablation: proposal for standardization of terms and reporting criteria. Radiology 228(2):335–345PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Ljungberg B, Cowan N, Hanbury DC, Hora M, Kuczyk MA, Merseburger AS, Mulders PFA, Patard JJ, Sinescu IC (2010) Guidelines on Renal Cell Carcinoma. European Association of Urology (EAU). http://www.uroweb.org/. Accessed 25 May 2011
- 24.Peters K (2007) Experimetelle Untersuchungen zur nichtinvasiven Gewebeablation durch hochenergetischen fokussierten Ultraschall (HIFU). Dissertation, Tierärztliche Fakultät der LMU München. http://edoc.ub.uni-muenchen.de/6643/1/Peters_Kristina.pdf