Endovascular Treatment of Descending Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms with the EndoFit Stent-Graft
- 80 Downloads
To evaluate the mid-term feasibility, efficacy, and durability of descending thoracic aortic aneurysm (DTAA) exclusion using the EndoFit device (LeMaitre Vascular).
Twenty-three (23) men (mean age 66 years) with a DTAA were admitted to our department for endovascular repair (21 were ASA III+ and 2 refused open repair) from January 2003 to July 2005.
Complete aneurysm exclusion was feasible in all subjects (100% technical success). The median follow-up was 18 months (range 8–40 months). A single stent-graft was used in 6 cases. The deployment of a second stent-graft was required in the remaining 17 patients. All endografts were attached proximally, beyond the left subclavian artery, leaving the aortic arch branches intact. No procedure-related deaths have occurred. A distal type I endoleak was detected in 2 cases on the 1 month follow-up CT scan, and was repaired with reintervention and deployment of an extension graft. A nonfatal acute myocardial infarction occurred in 1 patient in the sixth postoperative month. Graft migration, graft infection, paraplegia, cerebral or distal embolization, renal impairment or any other major complications were not observed.
The treatment of DTAAs using the EndoFit stent-graft is technically feasible. Mid-term results in this series are promising.
KeywordsDescending thoracic aortic aneurysm EndoFit Endovascular Thoracic aorta
We would like to thank Mr. Vassilis Tymbanidis for his technical assistance during the operations.
- 1.DeBakey ME, McCollum CH, Graham JM (1978) Surgical treatment of aneurysms of the descending thoracic aorta: Long-term results in 500 patients. J Cardiovasc Surg 19:571–576Google Scholar
- 6.Safi HJ, Miller CC III, Subramaniam MH, Campbell MP, Iliopoulos DC, O’Donnell JJ, et al (1998) Thoracic and thoracoabdominal aneurysm repair using cardiopulmonary bypass, profound hypothermia, and circulatory arrest via left side of the chest incision. J Vasc Surg 28:591–598PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Lepore V, Lonn L, Delle M, Mellander S, Radberg G, Risberg B (2003) Treatment of descending thoracic aneurysms by endovascular stent grafting. J Cardiovasc Surg 18:436–443Google Scholar
- 36.Sa HJ, Campbell MP, Ferreira ML, Azizzadeh A, Miller CC (1998) Spinal cord protection in descending thoracic and thoracoabdominal carotid aneurysm repair. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 10:41–44Google Scholar
- 39.Saratzis N, Lykopoulos D, Lioupis A, Melas N, Ginis G, Tsavdaridis P, Saratzis A, Lazaridis I, Philippides A, Kiskinis D (2006) Endovascular treatment of mobile thoracic aortic thrombi: Case report. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg Extra 3:32–35Google Scholar
- 40.Saratzis A, Saratzis N, Fillipou D, Melas N, Kiskinis D (2005) Endovascular stent-graft repair of an aortobronchial fistula: Case report and review of the literature. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg Extra 9:123–125Google Scholar