Acute Coronary Artery Air Embolism Following CT-Guided Lung Biopsy
- 210 Downloads
CT-guided needle biopsy is a common procedure for obtaining a tissue diagnosis and consequently correctly managing patients. This procedure has many potential complications, ranging from simple pneumothorax or self-limiting hemoptysis to life-threatening pulmonary hemorrhage and air embolism. Though the latter is a rare complication of CT-guided needle biopsy, it has attracted a lot of interest. We report a case of right coronary air embolism resulting in myocardial infarction after a CT-guided percutaneous needle biopsy of the lung.
KeywordsAir embolism Coronary Artery CT-guided needle biopsy Lung
We are grateful to Dr. Sana’ Alsukhun, Mrs. Tharwa Bilbeisi and Mr. Ahmad Alghareib for their editorial assistance in the preparation of this manuscript.
- 2.Sinner, WN 1976Complications of percutaneous transthoracic needle aspiration biopsyActa Radiol Diagn (Stockh)17813828Google Scholar
- 3.Gomes, OM, Pereira, SN, Castagna, RC, Bittencourt, D, Amaral, RVG, Zerbini, EJ 1973The importance of the different sites of air injection in the tolerance of arterial air embolismJ Thorac Cardiovasc Surg65563568Google Scholar
- 4.Blake, WA, Zwiebel, WJ 2002Percutaneous transthoracic needle biopsy complicated by air embolismAJR Am J Roentgenol17814001402Google Scholar
- 5.Kodama, F, Ogawa, T, Hashimoto, M, Tanabe, Y, Suto, Y, Kato, T 1999Fatal air embolism as a complication of CT-guided needle biopsy of the lungJ Comput Assist Tomogr23949951Google Scholar
- 6.Regge, D, Gallo, T, Galli, J, Bertinetti, A, Gallino, C, Scappaticci, E 1997Systemic arterial air embolism and tension pneumothorax: Two complications of transthoracic percutaneous thin-needle biopsy in the same patientEur Radiol7173175Google Scholar
- 7.Mokhlesi, B, Ansaarie, I, Bader, M, Tareen, M, Boatman, J 2002Coronary artery air embolism complicating a CT-guided transthoracic needle biopsy of the lungChest121993996Google Scholar
- 8.Wong, RS, Ketai, L, Temes, L, Follis, FM, Ashby, R 1995Air embolus complicating transthoracic percutaneous needle biopsyAnn Thorac Surg5910101011Google Scholar
- 9.Aberle, DR, Gamsu, G, Golden, JA 1987Fatal systemic arterial air embolism following lung needle aspirationRadiology165351353Google Scholar
- 10.Tolly, TL, Feldmeier, JE, Czarnecki, D 1988Air embolism complicating percutaneous lung biopsyAJR Am J Roentgenol150555556Google Scholar
- 11.Baker, BK, Awwad, EE 1988Computer tomography of fatal cerebral air embolism following percutaneous aspiration biopsy of the lungJ Comput Assist Tomogr1210821083Google Scholar
- 12.Ashizawa, K, Watanabe, H, Morooka, H, Hayashi, K, et al. 2000Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for air embolism complicating CT-guided needle biopsy of the lungAJR Am J Roentgenol18216061607Google Scholar