Surgical and Long-Term Survival Outcomes After Laparoscopic and Open Total Gastrectomy for Locally Advanced Gastric Cancer: A Propensity Score-Matched Analysis
- 109 Downloads
To compare the surgical and long-term survival outcomes of laparoscopic and open total gastrectomy (OTG) for locally advanced gastric cancer (AGC).
We retrospectively evaluated 308 and 900 patients in pathological locally AGC who underwent laparoscopic total gastrectomy (LTG) or OTG between June 2008 and December 2014. We compared surgical and long-term outcomes between the two groups using propensity score matching method.
The LTG group showed a longer operation time (261.42 vs. 171.00 min, P = 0.001), less blood loss (185.47 vs. 217.84 ml, P = 0.000), earlier time to first flatus (3.47 vs. 4.12 days, P = 0.000), earlier time to start liquid diet (3.76 vs. 4.27 days, P = 0.000), and shorter postoperative hospital stay (7.56 vs. 8.22 days, P = 0.007). The overall complication rate was 15.2% in the LTG group and 17.2% in the OTG (P = 0.503). No significant difference was observed in overall survival (OS) and disease-free survival (DFS) between LTG and OTG (60.5% vs. 57.1%, P = 0.337; 57.4% vs. 54.4%, P = 0.341).
Compared to OTG, LTG provides surgical benefits and comparable survival outcomes for patients with locally AGC.
The authors are thankful to medical staff of Xijing Hospital of Digestive Diseases for their management of database.
This is supported by the National Key Basic Research Program of China (No. 2014CBA02002).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
Drs. Zhengyan Li, Yezhou Liu, Bin Bai, Deliang Yu, Bo Lian, and Qingchuan Zhao have no conflicts of interest or financial ties to disclose.
- 1.Kitano SIY, Moriyama M, Sugimachi K (1994) Laparoscopy-assisted Billroth I gastrectomy. Surg Laparosc Endosc 4:146–148Google Scholar
- 7.Park YK, Yoon HM, Kim YW et al (2017) Laparoscopy-assisted versus open D2 distal gastrectomy for advanced gastric cancer: results from a randomized phase II multicenter clinical trial (COACT 1001). Ann Surg 42:S98–S99Google Scholar
- 8.Japanese Gastric Cancer A (2017) Japanese gastric cancer treatment guidelines 2014 (ver. 4). Gastric Cancer Off J Int Gastric Cancer Assoc Jpn Gastric Cancer Assoc 20:1–19Google Scholar
- 12.Sano T, Coit DG, Kim HH et al (2017) Proposal of a new stage grouping of gastric cancer for TNM classification: international gastric cancer association staging project. Gastric cancer Off J Int Gastric Cancer Assoc Jpn Gastric Cancer Assoc 20:217–225Google Scholar
- 13.Du JZJ, Li Y, Li J, Ji G, Dong G, Yang Z, Wang W, Gao Z (2010) Laparoscopy-assisted total gastrectomy with extended lymph node resection for advanced gastric cancer—reports of 82 cases. Hepatogastroenterology 57:1589–1594Google Scholar