Antiviral Therapy Decreases Recurrence of Hepatitis B Virus-related Hepatocellular Carcinoma after Curative Resection: A Meta-analysis
- 514 Downloads
The long-term outcome after curative resection of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) remains unsatisfactory because of the high incidence of recurrence. The present study was intended to assess the impact of hepatitis B virus (HBV) DNA level and nucleos(t)ide analog therapy on posthepatectomy recurrence of HBV-related HCC.
Eligible studies were identified through a computerized literature search. The pooled relative risk ratio (RR) with 95 % confidence interval (CI) was calculated using Review Manager 5.1 Software.
Twenty studies with a total of 8,204 participants were included for this meta-analysis. Pooled analysis showed that high viral load was significantly associated with risk of recurrence (RR: 1.85, 95 % CI: 1.41–2.42; P < 0.001), poorer disease-free survival (DFS) (RR: 1.96, 95 % CI: 1.62–2.38; P < 0.001), and poorer overall survival (OS) (RR: 1.47, 95 % CI: 1.22–1.77; P < 0.001) of HBV-related HCC after surgical resection. Nucleos(t)ide analog therapy significantly decreased the recurrence risk (RR: 0.69, 95 % CI: 0.59–0.80; P < 0.001) and improved both DFS (RR: 0.70, 95 % CI: 0.58–0.83; P < 0.001) and OS (RR: 0.46, 95 % CI: 0.32–0.68; P < 0.001).
High DNA level is associated with posthepatectomy recurrence of HBV-related HCC. Nucleos(t)ide analog therapy improves the prognosis of HBV-related HCC after resection.
KeywordsOverall Survival Risk Ratio High Viral Load Telbivudine Poor Overall Survival
- 18.Cai X, Huang C, Zhou H et al (2008) Postoperative serum HBV DNA level evaluate the recurrence after radical resection for patients with HBV-related hepatocellular carcinoma [in Chinese]. J Fujian Med Univ 42:438–440Google Scholar
- 22.Yang M, Xiao L, Shi X (2010) A study of antiviral therapy in prevention of tumor recurrence after curative treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma [in Chinese]. Med J Chin PLA 35:726–732Google Scholar
- 24.Cheng F, Lv L, Sun B et al (2011) A study of antiviral therapy in prevention of tumor recurrence after radical liver resection of hepatocellular carcinoma with high load of hepatitis B virus DNA [in Chinese]. Acta Univ Med Nanjing 31:882–888Google Scholar
- 26.Feng J, Li J, Fang T et al (2012) The effect of adefovir dipivoxil on the prognosis of HBV positive hepatocellular carcinoma [in Chinese]. China Modern Doctor 50:50–54Google Scholar
- 32.Zhang Z, Geng X, Zhao H et al (2013) The clinical significance of antiviral therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma with positive HBV-DNA patients [in Chinese]. J Hepatobiliary Surg 21:177–180Google Scholar
- 43.Qu LS, Liu JX, Kuai XL, et al (2013) Significance of viral status on recurrence of hepatitis B-related hepatocellular carcinoma after curative therapy: a meta-analysis. Hepatol Res. doi: 10.1111/hepr.12172