A Systematic Review of Cases Reporting Needle Tract Seeding Following Thyroid Fine Needle Biopsy
- 254 Downloads
Because of its accuracy and cost-effectiveness, thyroid fine needle biopsy (FNB) is the procedure of choice in the preoperative management of thyroid nodules. Needle tract seeding (NTS) has been a concern since the earliest days of FNB, contributing to the delayed acceptance of FNB as a safe procedure. In this review we tried to systematically record all reports of NTS after diagnostic thyroid FNB and provide useful hints to minimize the risk of NTS.
Computerized advanced search for primary evidence was performed in the PubMed (Public/Publisher Medline) electronic database. The search was not limited by publication time or English language.
Ten relevant articles were found: eight case reports, one case in a surgical series, and one retrospective observational study.
Despite initial concerns about the risk of NTS, FNB is now considered to be a safe procedure. Although proper FNB technique can reduce its risk, NTS is an unavoidable complication of FNB, which clinicians should be aware of. However, the incidence of NTS is low and it doesn’t seem to affect the prognosis because the seedings can be surgically removed without recurrence. The management of the thyroid nodules is to-date based on FNB, and the benefits from FNB (elimination of needless imaging and surgery) far outweigh the potential risk for NTS.
KeywordsThyroid Carcinoma Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Thyroid Nodule Core Needle Biopsy Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma
The authors are grateful to the librarian of the Ippokration Hospital of Thessaloniki, Dimitrios Vlahoudis, for invaluable help in retrieving the full text of older articles.
- 2.AACE/AME Task Force on Thyroid Nodules (2006) American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and Associazione Medici Endocrinologi medical guidelines for clinical practice for the diagnosis and management of thyroid nodules. Endocr Pract 12:63–102Google Scholar
- 7.Polyzos SA, Kita M, Avramidis A (2007) Thyroid nodules—stepwise diagnosis and management. Hormones (Athens) 6:101–119Google Scholar
- 10.Polyzos SA, Anastasilakis AD (2009) Alterations in serum thyroid-related constituents following thyroid fine needle biopsy: a systematic review. Thyroid (epub)Google Scholar
- 16.Wilczynski NL, Haynes RB (2002) Robustness of empirical search strategies for clinical content in Medline. Proc AMIA Symp 5:904–908Google Scholar
- 17.AACE Ad Hoc Task Force (2004) American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists protocol for standardized production of clinical practice guidelines. Endocr Pract 10:353–361Google Scholar
- 41.Kosugi C, Furuse J, Ishii H et al (2004) Needle tract implantation of hepatocellular carcinoma and pancreatic carcinoma after ultrasound-guided percutaneous puncture: clinical and pathologic characteristics and the treatment of needle tract implantation. World J Surg 28:29–32CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar